Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last Thursday I bought a new Gen 4 Glock 34. I broke the gun in by taking the Primary Defensive Pistol Class with Bill Davison ( Tac Pro Shooting Center - Facilities ) at Tac Pro Shooting Center and bringing the spankn' new gun along for the ride.

The class was fun and I learned A LOT about myself, my weapon and the mindset required to survive an armed encounter. Much time was spent learning how to safely manipulate the handgun, grip, stance, trigger control, loading and unloading, sight picture, aiming, stoppage drills, shooting from various and precarious positions, shooting from behind cover, shooting while moving, etc..

Bill is a big advocate of shooting while moving and we burned a lot of powder while on the move. The class is a 3 day class but unfortunately I didn't make Friday's class due to my work schedule. I fired almost 1,100 rounds between Sat and Sun. We got a lot of range time.

The Glock handled well and I really enjoyed shooting it. Initially the groups were going slightly left but since the G34 comes from the factory with adjustable sights it wasn't too hard to zero the pistol. The longer slide definitely allowed me to shoot more accurately than with a shorter barreled gun and recoil wasn't as "snappy" as with my G19 or G23.

On day one I experienced two stoppages; both were failure to ejects. Both of these stoppages happened when we were shooting single handed from the "ready" position with the guns pulled in close. I shot 550 rounds on Saturday and the two stoppages I encountered, I chalked up to user error. I guessed I had "limp wristed" the gun.

On day two the course of fire intensified and I encountered 4 more stoppages. All of them were "failure to feed." The bullets were hanging on the feed ramp and not chambering. Up until this point I was shooting bulk Remington UMC 115gr rounds. I then switched to Winchester White Box 115gr bulk and didn't encounter any more issues with stoppages. I can't say if it was the ammo for sure or not because I fired over a 900 rounds total of the UMC with 6 total stoppages over two days. I fired about 200 rounds of the Winchester with zero stoppages so I really can't say if the UMC was the issue or not.

So far I really like the G34 and plan on making it my range weapon. The ultimate goal is to start competing in Pistol and 3 Gun Matches. Would I stake my life on this particular gun? No, I would not. For now I'll stick to my my trusty ole' G23 (several thousand rounds without a single failure in almost 8 years) Some would say that 6 stoppages in 1,100 rounds is pretty good but for a primary defensive weapon I say that 6 is to many. If I wanted a gun to practice live fire stoppage drills with I would have bought a 1911.:)

With the exception of the stoppages the gun handles well, shoots straight and is a joy to fire. I suppose I’ll have to fire another thousand rounds through it with the Winchester stuff and see how it performs before I’ll know if it was the ammo or a weapon issue.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I shot another 200 rounds of WWB this past weekend and had 6 more stoppages. The slide was locking back on loaded mags. I was really starting to get pissed off and was considering lighting fire to this pistol when I was told it was probably my fault the gun was malfunctioning.

The G34 has an extended slide stop. I naturally have a "high grip" when I shoot pistols and apparently I have been accidently putting upward pressure on the slide stop. I believe this has been causing the slide to lock back when shooting it.

I'm anxious to get back out and shoot some more to see if that is what has been going on.

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
Again, nice review Misfire... I :lol at your 1911 comment.

I had the same issue with my 19 when I had the Glock factory extended slide lever on it. I have no personal experience with it, but my I suggest the TangoDown/Vickers slide stop. All the reviews I have read on it suggest it has all the benefits of the extended slide stop without the negative of the factory part that you are currently experiencing.

And for the love of all things that you hold sacred, please buy another holster. That SERPA has got to got to go!

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice on the TangoDown/Vickers ss. I'll check it out.

As for the Serpa, I'm not too fond of it either but that was all they had in stock and I had to have a holster for the 34 that weekend. I hated the retention and when I defeated it with a wedge the pistol fit was VERY sloppy so I put it back in retention "mode." Now that I've been using it for a while it is getting quite natural but I've read that the serpa holsters causes severe/premature holster wear on the slides.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts