Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Guys!

Driving an GSXR1100 ´91 is a heaven and when it´s broken it´s a nightmare!
Most of you seem to living in the States... I guess I would not even think about these things if I was there. But living in Finland is a different thing - no used parts available & new ones are damn expensive!

I have an issue with my gear-box... almost all the gears (specially 2nd and 5th) are in pretty bad condition and needs to be replaced, also the gear forks are badly damaged.

My question is, would it be possible to fit:
- GSXR750 6 speed gears & axls
- GSXR1100 pre-89 gears
- GSX1100F gears
In the bike - they would be much more easy to purchase!!
If you have crashed your engine of 89-92... please offer the gears to me! (whole engine would be possible also, but the freight would be horrible expensive then).

How about the oil-pump gears??
I have heard that using 750´s oil-pump gears would raise the oil pressure... which I think would be good, because I am thinking about installing another oil-cooler. Even we do have summer here - in the rush hours my quite a tuned-up engine starts running wide too hot!

Thx for replys in advance and sorry about the long text.

LEQ
GSXR1186 ´91 with everything but turbo & nitrous

·
Registered
22 Posts
All 750 boxes 88-91 will fit, I have no experience with pre-88 motors. It is a little work though. You'll have to drill a hole through the primary shaft for the clutch push rod. Since the 91 1100 has a double row bearing on the output shaft and the 750 hasn't, you can use the 1100 bearing, but flip it 'inside out' before installing it on the 750 shaft. This will line up the gears correctly. There will be little room left for the oil seal, but just enough. You will have to make some room for that small pin that keeps the bearing from turning. The 1100M has the diaphragm style clutch, which will not fit anymore, since the primary shaft from the 750 box is shorter. You can use the normal spring clutch like the GSX1100F (Katana) has.
Shift forks etc just drop in.

The 1100F gears are not the same as the 1100R gears. I have tried installing some F gears on an otherwise R-89 gear box and it works, but it shifts very rough. In that case you might be better of installing the complete F gear box and clutch. (The 1100F box has the same lenght as the 6 boxes, ie. the diaphragm style clutch does not fit).
You will have to try with the output shaft gear, but I suspect the same story goes here as for fitting a 6 box, apart from drilling the hole through the shaft which is already there.

I don't know wether gears from other years fit the 1100M box, but if you find a complete used box, remember that the M has a different bearing on the output shaft.

People keep telling that the 6 boxes don't last and, indeed, with modified engines they might very well break. All I know is that I have installed 6 boxes in 3 slightly modified engines, and they are still alive. The strongest from these (at the moment) has 145 rwhp. They are mostly used on the road, sometimes on a track, and have seen may wheelies, or attempts which is probably even worse. I'm currently rebuilding my engine with a 1216 kit and ported head, I will see if the box lives...

The oil pump gears that I have here supposedly come from both 750 and 1100 motors, but they look the same to me.

Also sorry about the long text.

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
Welcome LEQ. I don't know diddly about trannys. I do know about auxillary oil coolers. I have a second front cooler and I just finished (like 3 hours ago) the plumbing on a under-seat mount cooler for the lines on the back of the motor.

under-seat -mount cooler

adding a cooler is easy

There were the links to the supplier in the UK (Earls I believe) if you don't want to spend hours "doing it the hard way" like I did. But they work and they cost less than $150us for each.

So, living in Finland, you surely must ice race your gixxer in the winter...

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
The 91/92 oiler 750 gears are a fit, but it changes the engines power spread and the extra torque might destroy the tranny, I was thinking of putting a 750 tranny in my 92 but I have to look into it more, and you should be fine add an extra oil cooler the way your bike sits right now
-Karl

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by Frankie:
[QB]All 750 boxes 88-91 will fit, I have no experience with pre-88 motors. It is a little work though. You'll have to drill a hole through the primary shaft for the clutch push rod.

Well. I did buy an box of Bandit1200... brand new, technically (2.000 miles). It It seems like fitting well - only the axle of the clutch is a little bit shorter, but leaving fasteners out, makes it long enough to get bolted in. Also the clutch the M-model GSXR fits well. All the forks etc are very same. I will get back to you after I have checked the push rod´s fitting. If you guys have any other things in your mind, which could cause problems when installing the box, please gimme hints.

BRgrds,
LEQ

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
you have a very good year of the gixxer 1100...pre-89 will not work..that is all 1052 stuff and different lengths..89/91 is all the same s far as trannys go..92 is also the same BUT the output bearing support is wider on the 92(stronger)...suzuki used different length push rods in the same year of bike and the safest thing to do with the tranny is find a 89/91 tranny and put it in the bike..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts