Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to put a new sprocket on my 921100, what is my stock gearing and what would be some mild adjustments for:
1. more top end
2. better acceleration little less top end
I have seen an indicated 155-165 mph at 10k on the tach
thanks Karl

------------------

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
i think stock gearing on your bike is 15/48, but i'm not totally sure (kiwi may know better since he has the same bike).

stock gearing is usually a bit on the tall side, so there's no sense in gearing taller, unless your bike is making a lot more power than stock and is running out of gearing at the top (i.e. hitting the rev limiter maxed out), or you want freeway cruising revs lower than they normally are.

most people like to go down 1 front or up 2-3 teeth out back, to shorten the gearing a bit for better acceleration, and not lose too much up top.

how many miles do you have on your chain and sprocket? if they have quite a number of miles on them, you should probably replace both sprockets and the chain as a set.

------------------

·
Premium Member
3,183 Posts
The 92 1100 (UK) did an honest 165mph when new. I believe it was geared for about 171.

I'm to lazy to do all the calcs, but my gut feeling, having worked this shit out for a number of folks, is that +2 on the rear would be pretty optimum.

For example, the 93 1100 (UK) did an honest 175mph, geared for 181, so I went for +3 on the rear, given all that nonsense top end. Now its good for 161mph at 11000. Especially nice considering that one of my nicknames is 'two-up'

------------------

1 - 3 of 3 Posts