Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

Gearing Change

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  xtremsiege2 
#1 ·
So I know the gearing chatter is a bit generic, but I need guidance. Any general idea on where I should go for my 2019 750. I’ll be using for track days and am wondering if a gearing change may be in order. So I know ultimately it varies per track, but where should I start the change?

#2 ·
really you need to ride the track first, pay attention to top speed, launching, and corner speeds vs which gear and RPM, you don't want to be trying to get out of a corner already at near red line, and you don't want to try to get out of a corner dead idle..

its best or optimum to exit right in the meat of your powerband, so try a few gears, if your stuck in a few key turns then maybe you can try to alter the gearing to get your tach set up better, remember it will affect all other turns so small increments and keep using different gears, also if you engine brake a lot gearing is effected here as well obviously, keep all this in mind, nice if a guy has a good selection of sprockets, keep trying to find something comfortable and efficient for any given track and conditions to match your style...

also if the track has short straights then that gives you a lot of room to play, if not then usually that gearing swap is in the transmission per gear so that top end is still there.. get a few different sizes from and back see what's what, usually 1 or 2 up and down both front and rear should be good at first..

#3 ·
Everything Twisted said is spot on... There's a time and place for it, yes. Since you're just starting, get out there and have fun and learn. Your 750 has more under that tank and saddle than you know what to do with yet. If you're only riding one track, then you could probably ask around to see what other like to run there.

When are you heading out?

#5 ·
Let us know how it goes! I’m rebuilding a 2013 CBR 250 for the track. The one closest to my house is comparatively small so it’ll be perfect. I had to sell my 600 a while back so I look forward to getting back out there. On the hunt for a 750/1000 for the street and occasional track days.

#6 ·
What is already said is spot on. One thing i would recommend is to have a Rev2 throttle installed. The factory one is awful, long and inconsistent. Besides that the bike will handle great, brake great and perform all around really well. its your skills which need to be honed in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.