Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
With 800 miles on my new 2017, I think my bike would benefit from taller gearing. I just bought an 18T front and 44T rear sprocket to replace the stock 17T 45T setup. This will gear the bike higher by 8%.

I use the bike primarily for sporty street riding. I am out west where speeds are pretty high. Overall the bike is buzzier than I would like, however the bike is reasonably smooth at speeds in the 80's mph. Once the bike gets up to about 90+ mph the nature of the bike gets a little more frenetic. Often I am cruising in the low 90's and at that speeds the motor doesn't seem as relaxed. By moving the revs down by 8% 92 mph will now be the same revs as the old 85 mph where the bike is pretty smooth.

The bike has a ton of 6th gear pulling power at around 6000 - 6500 rpm, so I don't see a downside to responsiveness by gearing up. This thing is a torque / horsepower monster, even in 6th gear at 90+ mph.

It seems like most here on the site have geared their bikes down. Any of you go in the other direction like I plan?

·
Registered
438 Posts
Interesting approach.. I geared mine 16T 48T for quick acceleration. It hits higher RPM's quicker. It looks like you are going for the opposite.. you want to keep the RPM down for some reason. But low RPM means low HP!

Next set of chain/sprockets I might go down to 47T, or maybe even 15T 45T, as it is a challenge to keep the front down

·
Registered
177 Posts
I feel the same but haven’t messed with anything. It’s the actual gearing in the transmission, which are very close ratio in my opinion. You’re wanting to cruise at a relaxed engine state in 6th (essentially wishing for an OD) and that’s not really a thing with this bike with the power delivery, fueling, and transmission gear ratios.

It’s designed for track racing and is geared as such.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Interesting approach.. I geared mine 16T 48T for quick acceleration. It hits higher RPM's quicker. It looks like you are going for the opposite.. you want to keep the RPM down for some reason. But low RPM means low HP!

Next set of chain/sprockets I might go down to 47T, or maybe even 15T 45T, as it is a challenge to keep the front down
16/48 is the same as 15/45

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I feel the same but haven’t messed with anything. It’s the actual gearing in the transmission, which are very close ratio in my opinion. You’re wanting to cruise at a relaxed engine state in 6th (essentially wishing for an OD) and that’s not really a thing with this bike with the power delivery, fueling, and transmission gear ratios.

It’s designed for track racing and is geared as such.
Exactly, You can't blame the design. The GSXR is obviously a purpose built race bike. Gearing for a race vehicle should be designed to hit max speed at max revs/power. This produces the best top speed and use of gearing, but not the best cruising experience. Glad you have noticed the same thing.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Exactly, You can't blame the design. The GSXR is obviously a purpose built race bike. Gearing for a race vehicle should be designed to hit max speed at max revs/power. This produces the best top speed and use of gearing, but not the best cruising experience. Glad you have noticed the same thing.
I have seen 1 other person on here go to the 18t for street cruising and they had positive things to say, interested to hear your feedback when you get it all installed.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I’ve installed a 42 teeth rear sprocket and I’m very happy with the result.
In motorway you can keep a decent speed with the engine not being as nervous as before.
Only downside: having an almost 10 mm longer wheelbase and a slightly taller gearing, wheeling in second isn’t as easy as before...

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
First Ride Report with 18/44 (8.2% higher) - This morning my ride consisted of fast freeway driving between Long Beach and the Rock Store (Malibu) canyons. The longer gearing has really transformed the bike, making it feel more relaxed.

My previous complaint with the gearing is that it put the buzziness of the motor squarely in my cruising speed range. LA fwy speeds are probably much quicker than most other parts of the country. My average speed on the freeway is minimum of 80 mph up to about 95. It is very easy to do this speed as many of the faster cars are doing 85-90 mph, and fwy enforcement is limited these days.

With stock gearing, buzziness creeps in around 89-90 mph (about 6,500 rpm). The stock gearing had me going into and out of the buzzy zone of the engine. Now with the 18/44 gearing, buzziness doesn't kick in until around 96-97 mph, a speed above my usual range.

For canyon riding the new gearing is obviously a little tall, as I am usually maxing out at around 90mph on straights and hammering through tight turns at only 40-60 mph. But it is easy to downshift. In many turns I would just be down a gear.

My bike only has 1,200 miles on it so I wanted to retain the stock chain because it's brand new. Going up one on the front and down one in the rear allowed me to keep the stock chain without affecting the wheelbase. If I were to do it over again and needed a new chain, I would probably go with a 17/42 setup, keeping the front sprocket. Here are the following gear ratio's relative to stock for taller gearing.

17/45 = .3778
18/44 = .4091 = 8.2% (this is what I just tested)
17/43 = .3953 = 4.6%
17/42 = .4048 = 7.1% (This would work well with 118 link chain vs 120 link stock) buzzyness would only kick in at 95/96 mph which would still work for my cruising speeds. I may switch to this after my chain is mostly worn out)
17/41 = .4146 = 9.7% (this would be unnecessarily tall IMO)

For now I am going to leave the 18/44 taller gearing in place. The bike is much more relaxed at speed on the freeway. When a new chain is in order I may go with a 17/42 and 118 link chain setup. But I will have about 20k miles to evaluate this option.

·
Registered
2007 Suzuki GSX-R 1000
81 Posts
For those of you that are gearing taller are you getting any clutch judder when taking off from a stop?
I get some clutch judder when I'm letting out the clutch with low or accidental jumpy revs, I was wondering what that is. Its rare but is there a fix?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
No clutch judder here. If you have clutch judder, it would be a problem with your clutch, not your gearing. Gearing may only exacerbate an already existing clutch issue. Consider replacing clutch parts. My best guess would be a clutch basket with rough edges where clutch plates touch.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Have an 18 RSV4 Aprilia with stupid long gearing (did -1 + 1), I think the GSXR has the perfect gearing from the factory, been at many stints of rides doing 100-135 for good 35 - 40 mine and I never felt the bike was anything but perfect.

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
😂 2.4 : 1 final gearing why do you have a sport bike. You need a Harley. 6000 revs this engine is idling ! 90+ mph on public roads good luck with that ! ( try riding in a lower gear at 11000. 90 mph in 3rd )

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Why do you have a sport bike?. You need a Harley.
Ahhh..... because you can't take a Harley to the race track?

As a side note, gearing has no relationship to lean angle.

90+ mph on public roads good luck with that !
I don't know where you live, but in the western part of the US, it is pretty common.

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Anyone go one down on the front?
Impressions?
I run one down in the front. It works well for me at the track. Stock was too tall. Going one down in the front was the easiest solution. I wouldn't go any lower though.

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
1 - 20 of 28 Posts