Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently took a trip to the great state of Flordia with some friends on my 1K. Usually I just "putt" around through town and never REALLY have a chance to open the bike up for a long distance. I noticed however that I tend to want to shift again when I have already went through all of the gears (not remembering what gear I was in previously). I just wanted to know if someone had a link to where to buy a gear indicator and maybe how to install it. I know I am probably not the first to ask this, but I couldn't find any of the post. Thanks for the help...God Bless....J

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
search for digi gear made by datatool. that's the one that I have.

·
Premium Member
73,190 Posts
if you have a t.r.e. you will not be able to use a gear indicator. sorry.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I think its interesting that Suzukis had digital gear indicators on GS400s back in '78. Some of the magazines made fun of them saying that anyone that needed a gear indicator didn't know how to ride. Now 27 years later its featured on the new '05 GSXR1000 and everyone wants one... go figger

·
Banned
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
if you have a t.r.e. you will not be able to use a gear indicator. sorry.

Its just a TRE with a toggle. If I unhooked it, guess I could use it then. By the way, why is that (the reason why you can't use the indicator with tre)? Thanx....J

·
Premium Member
73,190 Posts
you are correct, you just cannot use the two at the same time. this is due to the fact that the t.r.e. makes the ecu think it is in a different gear than it is actually in.

·
Premium Member
73,190 Posts
it also may depend on the type of t.r.e. for example, i have jeffw's t.r.e. and i am not able to use a gear indicator.

·
Banned
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah, I also have the jeffw's tre. I can't tell much of a difference at high speed though. Oh well, I may take it off for the sake of having a gear light. Thanx everyone...j

·
Banned
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
guess I'll try both first and see if it will work, then I guess I can change it if it doesn't. By the way, where did you guys get them? How much? How to install or does it tell u in the instructions?....God Bless...J

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
You can get Acumen to make one so it doesnt dim at night, I called them thinking I could just disable a wire, they said they would have to make it $$$. oh well, if it doesnt matter, go ahead and get it, I have the old style, soldiered the wires in the harness. weeee

·
Banned
5,032 Posts
If you use a Digi (crap) or an Acumen (much better) the TRE is not an issue. These indicators compare rpm to road speed to determine the gear you're in. They could care less what the cpu is reading from the factory gps. What IS an issue are the speedo correcting devices. Each time they are recalibrated the gear indicator must relearn the gears, since they will almost always be wired behind the correcting device.

Busageek made and sold a gear indicator that was triggered by the factory gps. A TRE would not affect that either if you wired in ahead of the TRE.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts