Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having a problem with my gauge housing, for some reason lately it has been melting. I have no clue why this is happening. The only reason I could think of is that there could be a short in the gauge cluster. Is this under warranty? How long is the warranty on the bike from the dealer? Here is a pic. I will try and link it. [image]http://www.tmobilepictures.com/photos/photo02/50/ef/929f2286dcaa.bmp[/image]

·
Mightiest Sorcerer of the Lands a.k.a. Rhinocerous
22,048 Posts
Park in the sun a lot?

·
Premium Member
887 Posts
What kind of windscreen do you have on your bike? OEM or aftermarket? That looks like damage from the sun due to concentrated sun rays from an aftermarket windscreen.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Usually the warranty is only for one year; unless you bought some kind of extended warrany plan. So if you bought your bike on or before April 21st last year...your kinda screwed....unless maybe your dealer would hook you up...but not likely. If you bought your bike after Aplril 21st of last year.....then haul ass into your dealership and let them know whats up. Don't waste anytime....even if your year is already up...get in there and find out whats up with it. Someone here might know what happened....but we can't fix it for ya...and this doesn't sound like something you wanna sit on for awhile!

·
22,048 Posts
That's certainly a heat exposure problem, but it's not internal. You would notice other things if you had a short inside causing that.
That looks like someone held a magnifying glass under the sun, over your gauges.
Or, a nicely convexed windscreen.....

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It sits at work for about 4 hours at a time. but it isnt hot here at all. I have a double bubble dark smoke screen on it. My buddies all have them on their various bikes and dont have a problem. My buddies SV650s was doing the same thing with a stock windscreen on it before he wrecked it. should I swap my stock screen onto it before I take it to suzuki? I bought it in August of last year so it is still under warranty.

·
22,048 Posts
You can always try, but I doubt it's covered.
Take a look at your bike and where it's parked periodically throughout the day.
It doesn't have to be hot for the rays of the sun to melt things under magnification.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I guess I need to buy a cover, gauge housings are $49 on Ebay anyone know of a sun screen for bikes? I guess I could just stick something under there like a towel or something. it may start on fire though lol. this really pisses me off, first the piece of metal slamming into my front fairing now my gauges are melting. what else will be next??

·
22,048 Posts
first the piece of metal slamming into my front fairing now my gauges are melting. what else will be next??
WTF are you talking about?

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was cruising down the road the other day when out of the blue a huge piece of metal that looked like a giant skateboard bearing got kicked up by a car, it slammed into some harley in the opposing lane and flew across into the front fairing of my bike leaving a nice 3 inch crack next to my air duct. Stupid insignificant stuff like that and the guages melting are making my bike look like shit. I posted a picture of it in this forum a while back when it happened.

·
22,048 Posts
I was cruising down the road the other day when out of the blue a huge piece of metal that looked like a giant skateboard bearing got kicked up by a car, it slammed into some harley in the opposing lane and flew across into the front fairing of my bike leaving a nice 3 inch crack next to my air duct. Stupid insignificant stuff like that and the guages melting are making my bike look like shit. I posted a picture of it in this forum a while back when it happened.
That sucks ass!!!
Sorry to hear that.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I can complain if I want. I know I am lucky. Would you not be pissed if a piece of metal that had a 1 in a million chance hit your bike and facked it up? I would rather win the lottery.

·
Banned
952 Posts
I can complain if I want. I know I am lucky. Would you not be pissed if a piece of metal that had a 1 in a million chance hit your bike and facked it up? I would rather win the lottery.
youre line of logic is stupid. it hit your bike, get over it. it could have been much worse. if i had a "huge skateboard bearing" sized piece of metal hurled at me by a car while riding, id much rather it hit my bike than me. anyone with half a brain would think the same.

·
Registered
203 Posts
um........kinda going off topic right? LOL!

But damn, I've never heard/seen gauges melt before. Which brand of double bubble are you running?

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
damn forum hijackers these days

Scott

·
Banned
14,060 Posts
If you do not like the bike and you have full coverage insurance do the following. It works great and makes everybody rates go up.

Take the bike to an abandon parking lot and stunt the shit out of it. I mean go big time. Video tape the entire session so you can show your friends and post it on the internet.

After a day of stunting and trashing the bike when you are on the way home lay it down so it slides into a guard rail or tree.

Call the cops and tell them a small animal that looked like a chicken or turkey ran you off the road.

Take the money and get a used Ninja 250 as they have a special coating on the gages so they can’t melt and everybody knows a Ninja can defend against a flying piece of metal.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts