Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my cluster the only things that remain working on it is the neutral light, high beam light, turn signal lights and the L.E.D's that light up the cluster itself. I have had my k6 GSXR 600 for almost a year now and had no problems with it until winter came. When the cold weather hit is when my instruments started to turn on and off like there was a loose wire. Sometimes when I started it up they would be on and work but other times not and usually I could rev it up and they would kick on.

I heard it could be a low battery so I charged it up and that seemed to do the trick because they worked for a month or so after that. But after that brief period of working they went back to acting up again like before so I checked the battery, it was good and so was my charging system on my bike. I even tried putting my friends brand new battery in my bike and still they werent turning on. When I ride it sometimes they will turn on for a brief period or constintly flicker or they would just show the same speed/ tach reading even with acceleration/ deceleration.

Now I have the bike apart trying to figure out what it is. I have checked the fuses, the plug connector behind the gauge cluster, the main wiring plug connector near the radiator on the clutch side of the bike, everything there seems to be good.

Could it be the cluster itself or a short in the circuit or sensors??? Please any help, ideas or advice on what I can check next would be great!! (Sorry about the long write)

·
Registered
32 Posts
i have 2006 gsxr 1000 and had a similar problem.. i fixed it. check the wire harness on the left side of bike. i found on the 1000(not sure if wire diagram same for 600) a red wire with blue stripe corroded from the connector. i repaired it and now the gauge works fine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
what did you do to fix the wire? Same exact thing happened on my k6 600, and still haven't figured out what it is. The guy that works on my bike took a look at my speedo and said I have a burnt resistor on it and thats probably whats causing it, but he's not great with electrical work so wanna try everything else before buying a new speedo.

·
Registered
1 Posts
YOu guys ever get this figured out? My bike starting doing the same thing this week. I pulled over when it happend and noticed a burning electrical smell and some smoke coming from near my shifter.

·
Banned
1,177 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had that problem too. For a while I would just stick my hand in the left upper farring and play with the harness and it would work. Then my brother in law took it apart and cleaned it and made sure there was a good connection. It's been fine ever since.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I had the same problem and found the red wire with a blue stripe was broken in the harness on the left side of the bike. It's the big harness in the left upper fairing. It had corrosion all on the pin and the wire was broken off the pin so I pulled the pin and soldered the wire back on. Works perfect now.

Attachments

·
Registered
90 Posts
same thing happened to my bike the other day. found this thread on google and solved the problem. Thanks!

2003 gsxr1000

mb.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Had this problem this morning, instrument cluster dead bar the high beam blue light.

Turned out to be the 10amp turn signal fuse burnt out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Had the same problem cluster dont show nothing i put a multimeter in redblue stripe wire it trows 12 volt.. O/g 12v but somebody tells me to check the black/green and 4.8 v.. But my diagram appears a black brownstripe wire but my bike wont have it..... Can somebody can help me... I own a gsxr 600 k7... Sorry my english is not too good im from tijuana mexico

·
Registered
2 Posts
Here is the most likely problem...red &blue wire(second pin,next to the black one)it brakes from the pin and the connector gets flooded in water from washing.Also check 10 Amp fuse :Signal fuse.If this does not work ....you probably need a new cluster instrument.I found this problem and repaired it on a GSXR 750 K8

·
Registered
9 Posts
On my cluster the only things that remain working on it is the neutral light, high beam light, turn signal lights and the L.E.D's that light up the cluster itself. I have had my k6 GSXR 600 for almost a year now and had no problems with it until winter came. When the cold weather hit is when my instruments started to turn on and off like there was a loose wire. Sometimes when I started it up they would be on and work but other times not and usually I could rev it up and they would kick on.

I heard it could be a low battery so I charged it up and that seemed to do the trick because they worked for a month or so after that. But after that brief period of working they went back to acting up again like before so I checked the battery, it was good and so was my charging system on my bike. I even tried putting my friends brand new battery in my bike and still they werent turning on. When I ride it sometimes they will turn on for a brief period or constintly flicker or they would just show the same speed/ tach reading even with acceleration/ deceleration.

Now I have the bike apart trying to figure out what it is. I have checked the fuses, the plug connector behind the gauge cluster, the main wiring plug connector near the radiator on the clutch side of the bike, everything there seems to be good.

Could it be the cluster itself or a short in the circuit or sensors??? Please any help, ideas or advice on what I can check next would be great!! (Sorry about the long write)
I had this exact issue tac would work and then out of nowhere stopped. It ended up being my rear license plate light that blew a fuse. Previous owner did a bad slice and the wires were touching and grounding. I fixed the splices and replaced the fuse and haven’t had a problem with my cluster since. I found it odd that that one fuse turned everything but my neutral light off in my cluster.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts