Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know...drain the gas first...

seriously, I've decided to spare no expense for this 905 big bore I'm doing. I picked up some K&N pod filters from Mcgsxr for my 38mm carbs. I'm not going to screw with the original parts, so I bought a tank on ebay for $25. It's been a while, but I heard about or saw that somebody had cut out the bottom of the tank where the stock airbox/filter reside. Then welded a plate over the hole. Basicly increasing the capacity of the tank. I've got a reliable and experianced gas tank welder ready to do the work.

I'm wondering if anyone else has done this modification? Feedback anyone?

·
Registered
893 Posts
I was going to do that myself. My original tank was rusted pretty bad on the inside. I cut the airbox section out, sandblasted the thing but it was to far gone. I found another tank for 100.00.
It can be done (I'm a welder by trade) You will also increase the amount of fuel the tank will hold, that's a plus

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I personally have not done it yet. I friend did it and it turned out really well. It increased tank capicity which is a big plus. You should go ahead and do it.

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks like almost a gallon increase

Onewheelrider...What material did you use for the plate? Did you weld it in or braze it in?

Once it's done I'll be getting it "line-a-tanked" like we discussed a month or so ago. Then painted something really cool...guess I'd better work some overtime to pay for all this.

·
Registered
893 Posts
I did'nt finish my tank but I would have welded it back together. I would have used a piece of 14ga mild steel.
One extra gallon sounds about right. You will need it for that motor your building

If you can, post some pics when it's done.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts