Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, so I feel like a total noob but I need help so here goes...

I dropped my 98 gsxr 750 and the only damage it sustained was a massive dent in the gas tank. I found a brand new tank for the same make and model as mine. I also ordered a new fuel pump gasket.

I disconnected all the hoses, removed the hinge and took the tank off the bike. I then removed the fuel pump gasket off the bottom and reassembled it with the new gasket on the bottom. I reconnected all the hoses and wires and mounted the new gas tank on the bike.

I started it up and gas started spraying out of the tube on the left side on the bottom of the tank. I found a rubber nipple that fit it and I put it on the tube. I started the bike again and this time gas came out the top gasket by the cupful.

What on earth is going on? I triple checked what I did and all of the hoses and wires are connected in the exact way and manner they were on the old tank. What do I do?

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
Either the hoses are connected wrong or there is something wrong with the inside of that tank.

Where are the hoses going that you have connected to the back of the tank?

John

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
I am thinking the same thing SRADIATOR. :)

John

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The tank is OEM brand new, I can't imagine the tank is the problem, it has to be my error, but I reassembled the tank in the identical configuration as my previous tank.

My thoughts, from my limited research, are that maybe my pump lost prime and once reset backflows pressure into the tank? Something is obviously forcing gas backwards into the tank, yet gas is still getting into the engine enough to run.

In the normal process of putting a new tank on, is there some electrical switch I have to reset, or some other step besides just putting all the hoses back? What would cause gas to pump back into the tank?

Thanks for all your help guys!

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
No the pump can only be connected one way, unless you disconnected the wires from the pump... No reason that needed to be done.

Anyhow. It is more likely that you have a vent and return line switched. It is best if you can tell us what hoses you connected in what order on the back of the tank, and what hose you connected to the pump.

John

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ill get pics on ASAP.

I'll try to describe the order of the hose assembly. the hose connected to the fuel pump is the thin black one with the blue plastic connectors. the hose with the metal braiding around it goes into the back of the tank on the right side. The left tube, which should be the breather is open.

I only disconnected hoses from the old tank when I removed it, I did not remove them from the pump end or anything. The electrical wiring was disconnected at the clips and put back on properly. It gets electricity because I can hear it priming when I turn the ignition key.

Truly stumped.

·
Banned
23,398 Posts
There are 3 nipples...2 are vents and one is a return line. Somehow they must be mixed up. I have to look at the back of my F.I. tank to be sure but I THINK the return line is in the middle?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Alright, mystery solved but new problem exists. I compared my old tank to the new tank. The old tank had been molested on the inside. The two vent nipples had been cut. On had been reconnected with a hose to serve as the singe vent, and the other had been left open to serve as the return opening. The new tank has both vent nipples intact so the gas on the return hose had been pumping up through the vents into the cap.

But here is the new problem, where the eff am I supposed to put the return hose? The pump doesn't have a return nipple, and the two nipples on the tank are vents. Obviously the previous owners had the same problem cause they cut open a vent tube to serve as the return. I'd rather not hack into my brand new tank, so what to do?

Is there a difference between tanks off a 600 vs a 750. my engine is 750 FI but the tank is 97 600. Are the pumps different?

·
Banned
23,398 Posts
What you have is a CARBED tank and NOT an F.I. tank!
You'll need to either get the correct tank or make the same mods to the new tank (sacreligious i tell you) that the old one had.
F.I. tanks have 3 nipples out back, not 2!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
About this Discussion
19 Replies
7 Participants
lukethebutcher
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing