Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I'm wondering just what the little tube/breather thing is for on the top of our gas tanks in front of the gascap... I'm guessing its for emissions or something. I did a rust seal treatment to my tank and I guess it must have stopped up whatever passage was up in there because I cant move any air in or out of that breather cap...

So I'm wondering, if it IS for emissions, is it vital for the function of the fuel tank for it to breathe? Or can I just do away with it altogether, grind the bitch off and fiberglass over it leaving myself with a nice flat tank instead of it with the gay looking hump in it...

Any ideas?
Thanks guys.

·
3,486 Posts
The reason for the hump was to be able to fuel the tank all the way to the top of the fill hole and still not have fuel pissing out the breather:) A racing thing, not a gay thing. No need to be humphobic

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
I got a question if you drill a hole in it. will a bigger hole flow more gas.?! my tank is kreemed and Icant get it to release air from it either. I'm afraid to drill holes in it and it be flowing way to much fuel. does this make a difference.
lets say I drill a 3/32 hole.. is it better to drill 1/4 inch .?? or what?
I don't know what size to use and don't wanna F%&*# it up if ya know what I mean. if it ain't broke DON'T FIX IT right.?
Idont get fuel starvation,but It does get some suction if ya shake it.also I get less fuel flow from one line than the other its always been like this. is this the problem.? its always the back spout on the petcock, will this help?

·
3,486 Posts
Drilling??!......all you need is an air passage! Bigger wouldn't matter. The nipple is the thing the breather hose is attached to. Unscrew it, free it up, and put it back.....that's it! Taking it off wiil just keep any more debris from getting in there while you clean it. Sounds like you need to remove the petcock and inspect it too. Again, not rocket science, just needs to be free of gunk.......R

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
petcock is just rebuilt it did it before I did it too. WTF.??
OH you thats it ok it is clear I blew through it the other day and it was clear. hint the word nipple duh. I thought there was some thing inside the tank I was missing when I unscrewed it there was nothing under it. I was like ...is'nt there more to it.??

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.