Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I bought my gixxer back in march with 12,000 miles on it. It has a clean title and was a repo unit I bought directly from my finance company. I can see the bike has been tipped over before but it has no signs of being wrecked.

Anyhow, shortly after I got the bike I raised the tank to adjust the idle. When I raised the tank I noticed that the rear bolt that the tank pivots on was loose but I left it alone because I was in a hurry. Once I got around to reinstalling the bolt properly I noticed that I could not get the two front bolts to go into the frame because they didn't line up, they fell a little short. I had to actually pry the tank forward enough to get the bolts in. Since then I've had the tank up and off several times and see no reason for the bolts not to line up. I cant find anything tweaked anywhere so it has me a little confused. It makes doing any work on the bike a PITA because I have to struggle to get the tank back on. Just wondering if anyone has had any similar issues.

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
7,557 Posts
I wouldn't use the word "pry" but I do have to fiddle around with (yank) mine to get the bolts to go in. My biggest concern is that I might crossthread the screws into the frame. The pivot at the back attaches to the tank with four screws and some cushions. It's probably possible to put some washers in there to move the tank forward slightly.

·
Registered
283 Posts
When I lower the tank, I first tug it forward, then check for the alignment of those 2 rubber donuts with the threaded holes. Those little boogers move around a bit I found and can make the screw threading difficult to say the least. It doesn't take much movement to re-align them, and then bingo, the screws thread much easier.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. I guess it is normal then. I did notice that starting the bolts with the tank pulled up a little works better. But, what made me think that it should fit better is that the rubber grommets on the front 2 bolts are actually cut all the way through to the sleeve in the middle. And with the tank all bolted up you can see that the grommets are pulled all the way forward. If I get around to it I may take a pic and post it up. It isn't like it is a major issue for me, I just don't like worrying about stripping out the threads on the frame every time I raise the tank.

·
Premium Member
117,182 Posts
Most be ONLY an 06 1000 thing.

On most bikes, that is a pretty sure sign the frame is bent. My 06 600 when the tank is lowered, I can hand tighten the front tank mount, and that is how most gsxrs are and msot bikes should be.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Most be ONLY an 06 1000 thing.

On most bikes, that is a pretty sure sign the frame is bent. My 06 600 when the tank is lowered, I can hand tighten the front tank mount, and that is how most gsxrs are and msot bikes should be.
I had considered a bent frame but can't find any signs of it being tweaked (other than the tank issue). I had the frame recall done in march when I bought the bike and nothing was mentioned then. Also, the bike handles fine and shows no signs of instability, which I would think would happen if the frame were bent. :dunno

·
Premium Member
117,182 Posts
I have seen many tucked frames, that without measuring you cant tell they are tucked. And unless you are a fairly talented rider, you may not even notice the odd handling quirks it would have.

I am not saying your bike is bent. Im saying historically though, if I run across a bike that the tank does not bolt up easily, it is almost always a sure sign that it is tucked.

·
Loves MASSIVE CASCADES of jizz on his face
5,361 Posts
My K6 has never been down, yet I have to tug the tank forward a little bit in order to align those two front bolts.

·
whiter than whole milk...
25,346 Posts
i have to nudge it a lil bit on my k4, and by the way, the pivot bolt at the back will back out if not torqued to spec. Mine's did it twice

·
Premium Member
117,182 Posts
Like i said, it must be a unique thing to the k6 1k generation of bike since several of you have said that now :cheers. Pretty shitty for the flagship of hte GSXR lineup though :facepalm

·
Loves MASSIVE CASCADES of jizz on his face
5,361 Posts
Like i said, it must be a unique thing to the k6 1k generation of bike since several of you have said that now :cheers. Pretty shitty for the flagship of hte GSXR lineup though :facepalm
At least it doesn't go through oil like no tomorrow, like my '08 CBR1K does... :sad

·
Premium Member
117,182 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
At least it doesn't go through oil like no tomorrow, like my '08 CBR1K does... :sad
Are you sure that honda didn't pair up with GM in the design of that engine ? :lmao
It seems that almost all of their current engines use boatloads of oil anymore. I think they are secretly injecting oil into the intake as a means of lowering fuel consumption for better epa ratings. :wacko

·
whiter than whole milk...
25,346 Posts
Mines isnt that hard to get lined up, but it does not just close inline with the threads, i have to lift it up abot a 1/4 inch and peak to see where the holes are so i can line them up, then i put pressure on the tank as necessary to align it. once its threaded there is no pressure on anything. it just does not close perfectly on the screw holes

·
Registered
130 Posts
mine does the same thing... undo the bolts on the back of tank alittle it does help
yes k5 k6 tanks can be abit of a pain to refit... :banghead

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
7,557 Posts
As I postscript to all this, I just had my tank up for other reasons and decided to make a 1/16" thick shim that fits between the tank and the rear pivot. This seemed to eliminate the problem.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the info. I have been meaning to try something like that, but I've just been too lazy.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
About this Discussion
17 Replies
8 Participants
pmkls1
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing