Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After the fiasco getting the tank hinge bolt finally out and working on the bike (new plugs, air filter, etc.) We put everything back together and it ran better than ever with the new plugs (missing problem completely solved)

Two days later... I run out of gas! My light never came on. Clearly something changed since pulling the tank. On startup... the light lights up, but it's no longer picking up the low gas signal.

When I put the fuel pump back on, we swapped the two wires, which we quickly realized when the bike wouldn't start. I'm wondering if I just missed some connection or if crossing those wires sent some kind of current through something and blew a sensor/sender? Ideas?

It's not a big deal, but it's nice having the reminder when you're low.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Chances are you blew the low fuel sensor, they are cheap to replace if your handy with a soldering iron and a bit more if you have to buy OEM. To make it easier to store the excess fuel, run the tank down to close to the usual tripmeter reading where you usually refill before draining your tank. Just drain the tank and pull the sensor out and replace if you bought an oem replacement.

Otherwise unsolder the existing cannister from the sensor mount after pulling it from the tank (it shouldnt need be said, but keep the soldering the hell away from the tank and the spare container the fuels kept in), and put in another sensor from a generic car low fuel sensor, they are all basically the same thing, a small steel "cap" with ventholes with plastic on one end, and is soldered to a mount to provide earthing on the negative. You then use the lead and connect it to the internal connection point of the low fuel sensor.

tip: When you buy the spares from a auto wrecker, make sure you buy two fuel sensors in case you munge the fuel sensor with some ham fisted soldering skills. Only cost me $15 for a full pair of car fuel sensors (fuel level and low fuel sensor) i threw everything but the lfs from the car away afterwards.

Background info:
The low fuel sensor is basically a vented cannister that contains a thin wire element, you heat the wire with the mini current fed through it, and it has a high resistance as there is fuel cooling it and it stays (relatively) cold. When the fuel level drops below the canister, the element is allowed to heat up, and it provides less resistance, and the little light is triggered on your dash. There's no chance of it causing a fire or anything, as the canister is fully enclosed and the 4-6 vent holes top & bottom are about 0.5mm across.

I know this because i bought my old bike with a borked sensor, and they stopped producing the fuel level sensor and llow fuel sensor (integrated unit) about 7+ years ago, and it was the only way i'd get it fixed.

Seriously, if your even remotely competent with a soldering iron, replace it yourself, you'll save about $60+. Btw, next time, make sure you write in perm marker P for pump and S for sensor on the connectors.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Great comments Mike-S as my pump low fuel light dont work anymore since i changed the motor in my bike.It used the same pump .
I checked the fuel level ceramic resistor,tried an other...... same problem.

I tested the thermistor in my first pump and it dont seem to work properly.

I will try what you say as this part cost 105$ for my gsxr.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.