Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So the leak went away, but to be careful, I’d still like to know a reason or explanation please thanks

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
8,761 Posts
I'm not sure about yours but that's probably an overflow drain from the area around the fuel cap seal. That's normally where the liquid, gas or water depending on circumstances, comes from. However the drain line runs through the tank so if it rusts through, gas will leak from the tank into the drain line until the gas level is below the hole.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not sure about yours but that's probably an overflow drain from the area around the fuel cap seal. That's normally where the liquid, gas or water depending on circumstances, comes from. However the drain line runs through the tank so if it rusts through, gas will leak from the tank into the drain line until the gas level is below the hole.
Gas wasn’t coming out of that line. It was coming from the part that’s scratched,

·
Premium Member
400 Posts
That is the stator cover, there is engine oil behind that cover. How fuel got in there would be interesting. Did it smell like fuel ?
If that stator cover took a hit, you really need to take it off and make sure the flywheel has not contacted / damaged the windings.

·
Premium Member
1,177 Posts
I doubt it was gas. It would have evaporated very quickly. Did this happen while riding? How long after riding did you notice this spot? How long after you noticed it did it “go away”? What do you mean by it went away? It evaporated away, or you wiped it off and the spot never came back after riding again? More explanation would help. Maybe it was oil. Maybe the cover above it was leaking? Did you check that?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I
I doubt it was gas. It would have evaporated very quickly. Did this happen while riding? How long after riding did you notice this spot? How long after you noticed it did it “go away”? What do you mean by it went away? It evaporated away, or you wiped it off and the spot never came back after riding again? More explanation would help. Maybe it was oil. Maybe the cover above it was leaking? Did you check that?
last time it happened while I was riding, it did smell like gas, yesterday it happened while I was letting it warm up, I stood the bike up and it stopped leaking even after I put it on it’s side

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That is the stator cover, there is engine oil behind that cover. How fuel got in there would be interesting. Did it smell like fuel ?
If that stator cover took a hit, you really need to take it off and make sure the flywheel has not contacted / damaged the windings.
It did smell like fuel, and yea it did take a hit when my dads friend used to own the bike, this happened recently and it never happened before even when I rode it for a week or two straight

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
8,761 Posts
Hard to believe that it's coming from inside the stator cover. If it really is gas, there's more likely a leak from either the tank or the lines, etc. from the pump to the injectors. It's probably running down the outside of the engine. When you stand it up, the gas likely accumulates in the area above the transmission, where it apparently has time to evaporate on a hot engine. Not good. If it caught fire it could burn the bike to the ground.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hard to believe that it's coming from inside the stator cover. If it really is gas, there's more likely a leak from either the tank or the lines, etc. from the pump to the injectors. It's probably running down the outside of the engine. When you stand it up, the gas likely accumulates in the area above the transmission, where it apparently has time to evaporate on a hot engine. Not good. If it caught fire it could burn the bike to the ground.
When I was looking at the cover it looked like gas was also dripping from the bottom of the cover, but it can also be what you said

1 - 16 of 16 Posts