Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone experienced the same thing before?
Is it just the problems with the bad gas pump seal? Is it a recall?
if you get it fixed by a mechanic, how many hours of labour did you pay?

would the gas eventually burn my ass?

·
Registered
412 Posts
when you mean gas leak, is it actually dripping out of your tank? cos I smell gas when I'm riding, I didn't think that you would smell any gas with fuel injection. maybe mine is starting to leak too?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hay man sup.. same in Toronto.. we should ride together sometimes... but have to wait until my bike is fixed..

I don't smell gas though while riding...

even the gas leaked from the tank doesn't smell like gas... it's very tiny.. kind of leaking through the frame to the lower frame to the peg to the cluch .. then to the lower fairing...

if you see some yellow moisture under your tank on the left rear side of the tank right where you leg holding the tank..

it will leak from there to the frame.. you will see a line cross the frame.. if you don't see such scenario.. it might be something else...

I do think FI should have left no gas out ... but correct me on this, I'm not sure.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Yes, there was a recall on the 96'/97' bikes for (if i recall)a leaking gasket on the fuel pump.
It may have went into 98' also(cant remember).I must have thrown away the recall notice, i sold it and never took it in.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I had the same problem with my 98 750. Unfortunately, my year and make wasn’t recalled for the bad gasket. However, I believe the 97’s were recalled, you can call your local dealership and they can run a query to see if your covered. It’s pretty simple if you do it yourself. Just make sure you use the correct torque requirement so you won’t bend your take tightening the bolts.

·
Registered
391 Posts
i have the same problem on my 97 750..
on the occasion i smell gas. but only sometimes.
and on the occasion i see a little gas on the ground near my kick stand...
but only sometimes..
i couldnt find a leak but what i did find was the airbox had some gas in it that slowly leaked out to the ground...
not sure how it got there but i couldnt find anything.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Finally,

here is the story..

97 gsxr 750 (made in 96) doesn't have a recall on the gas leak caused by the shitty gasket (seal) between the gas tank and fuel pump, but it gets a free repair under its warrenty. Mine is a 97 made in 96, I called Suzuki Canada, and the amazing thing is that the customer support is very very good, he is pretty nice and he asked for my VIN number and said it was replaced before on my bike under warrenty but since it is a recall he can't do anything about it but he said if i called him on 99 he would get a free part for me but since at that time i was not even riding a bike......
But 98 model (made in 97) does get a recall which is still valid as long as you have the letter.. if you don't have the letter or you have it second hand or third from someone else, you can always call Suzuki customer support ask for the letter as long as on their record your bike has not yet been fixed.

If you can find where the leak is.. check out the bottom of your gas tank on the side of the seat, it is where the pump is located. touch and see if it is wet with some moisture in yellow color on it. if so, it is very likely your seal went bad.

Also that seal or gasket is really some piece of shit and it will leak again sometimes later, who knows when.. now I start worrying about whne it's gonna burn my ass?

the part costs around 20 USD.. plus one hours of labour... it's not a big deal.. most of the guys here could do it on their own.

now I have to wiat several days to get it fixed and back on the road again.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The recall notice was on the hose line that was connected to the pump. They said that the fitting on the pump was not strong enough to hold the hose under the pump pressure. I did have a problem the fuel line and it blew off the pump while getting onto the freeway. I took the bike in and the dealer repaired it. This was before the recall notice. When the notice came out I took it back to have it repaired with the proper parts.

I have had the same problem with the gas tank leaking. It was the gasket between the pump and tank. The first time I took the tank in, the dealer said that it was just the screws loose. Why did the screws come loose?, anyway. I was able to get Suzuki to cover the repair of the fuel leak but it was not without trouble. I had to make several calls to Suzuki Warranty Deptartment and the dealer. I bitched about it untill they got fed up with me and agreed to pay for the repair. There is no reason the gasket should go bad like that. I have never heard of this problem with another bike or even a car.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts