Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 2013 GSX R 1000, the manual recommends Gas grade of 90 or above, does that really make a difference? I have been ignorantly using 87 for 700 miles since i brought it.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Really, a duplicate post of the same question? Please try using the forums search function. There are a few topics on fuel/gas grade.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Really, a duplicate post of the same question? Please try using the forums search function. There are a few topics on fuel/gas grade.
I did look up but those questions are not directly relevant to the question on 2013 1000 cc make & model or similar. Most of them are about older models and different make.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I did look up but those questions are not directly relevant to the question on 2013 1000 cc make & model or similar. Most of them are about older models and different make.
It actually still is relevant as fuel grades do not change. You should be using what your manual specifies. There is a reason that they specify certain fuel grades. :hammer

·
Captain Obvious ... because obviously it’s obvious
3,856 Posts
I got a 2013 GSX R 1000, the manual recommends Gas grade of 90 or above, does that really make a difference? I have been ignorantly using 87 for 700 miles since i brought it.
Yes, it does. Unless you like pre-ignition and detonation that can cause catastrophic engine failure.

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
7,701 Posts
I think that there originally was a sticker on the tank about the octane requirements. They commonly get removed. Suzuki isn't doing that for the fun of it as it creates a hardship of sorts for owners. At idle and low load 87 will be OK. But at higher load and RPM you're playing with fire. It could easily lead to engine damage.

·
Premium Member
1,993 Posts
Don't be cheap!! Be safe and go with Super unleaded. There is detonation that you don't hear. You don't want to play russian roulette over a $1 more a gallon.

·
Registered
88 Posts
At 12.9:1 compression and aggressive timing you should be running at least 91. It clearly states that in the manual/this forum/google/just about everywhere. Pretty elementary question. These are performance machines, not Honda Accords. Stop running 87, it'll pit the crown of the piston, jack up the rings, and puts a lot of stress on the rod bearings and piston skirt.

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Hey, does anyone finds that your bike runs better on one brand over another. Sorry, don't mean to thread hike but always wondered about this as my truck always seem to run better on BP and that is pretty much what I put in my bikes.

I know, I know, it is common knowledge that the brands don't make a diff but just asking the collective at this time. Thanks.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Hey, does anyone finds that your bike runs better on one brand over another. Sorry, don't mean to thread hike but always wondered about this as my truck always seem to run better on BP and that is pretty much what I put in my bikes.

I know, I know, it is common knowledge that the brands don't make a diff but just asking the collective at this time. Thanks.
I've actually noticed this with my K7 600... I get far better fuel mileage using WaWa fuel here in Florida than I do the others... My next go to is fuel from 7-Eleven (Corporate stores, not the franchises as the franchises can run with what ever fuel partner they want). I also always use super or premium in my bike. But with WaWa fuel I've noticed a good 5 extra miles to the gallon plus it running smoother.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Holy f£$k
I have completed roughly 1,800 miles since early September running my bike on sub-90 octane unleaded.
Just filled the tank earlier today! - I'm glad this Post was made, otherwise I would never have known the value of using recommended fuel!
(I suppose it makes sense, for those who own the Honda S2000 car, Shell V-Power is the recommended fuel).
It never occurred to me that this would apply to a motorbike.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts