Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My ultimate goal here is to know approximately how far we can get on a tank of gas.

On the K4 750, the tank is 4.7 galons. The gas light comes on with approximately 1.7 gallons left (both of these are according to the manual). The average milage when the gas light comes on has been about 130 miles. So when the light comes on, I have used 2.8 gallons. According to my calculations, with 130 miles used in that amount of gas, that is about 45 miles per gallon. On a 4.5 gallon tank, thats approximately 200 miles per tank.

Can anyone verify this? Have you run out of gas from a full tank and a reset trip meter? Is this calculation somewhat accurate?

·
Registered
30 Posts
To confuse the issue, I do mine in km/h and litres, 17L tank, reserve comes on with 3 L remaining at about 230klms. On average that is 6L/100klms which means with 3L remaining I should get another 50klms taking it to 280.

Thats on an 04 750 with a mixture of hwy and city riding, no mods, running 98 octane.

(there is 1.609klms per 1 statute mile)
(3.79L per US Gallon)

·
Registered
164 Posts
i have never got to 200 km before the warning light comes on... usually comes on for me around 180 km. It came on at 200 km this weekend while on a leisurly highway ride... longest i've ever gone before the light came on.

05 750 with 4000km's on it.

·
Banned
15,031 Posts
i've had it on at 90 miles and 120miles. its all depends how your riding.

·
Registered
380 Posts
i get about 140-150 miles till reserve... i don't ride very hard

·
Banned
15,031 Posts
wow, guess not gees

·
Registered
203 Posts
I've had 90 miles and the light came on. But that's because more city riding and boning out more often. But freeway wise, I've had 130 miles and the light came on. It varies on how hard you push your bike.

The calculation looks correct, but not all riders ride the way you do. You just have to know how you've been riding your bike after you put a full tank of gas in so you won't run out of gas.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
so the 04 has a 4.7 and the light comes on at 1.7? cause i get 130 on a tank but wasnt sure about the numbers.
That's correct. You should be able to calculate how far you should get out of a full tank with those numbers.

As mentioned above, it's all about how you ride. So once you have established an average milage of when the light comes on, you can figure how many miles your getting per gallon, then per tank.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
The 04'-05' 600's &750's have a 4.5 gallon tank. The 04' 1000 has a 4.8 gallon tank.

I have ran as few as 70 miles on the tank before the light came on, and as high as 125-130. My average now is about 100 miles before the light.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I know most of you know how to do this, but I'll post it anyways...

If you want to check fuel mileage then do this;

1. Fill her up.
2. Set the trip meter
3. Ride her until she needs fuel.
4. Fill Her up again.
5. Check the trip meter for the amount of miles you rode since the last fill up.
6. Check the gas pump for the amount of fuel you added to her.
7. then calculate this: (miles) / (gallons)

I'm getting about 33 miles/gallon. That's with a passenger half the time.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
As mentioned, there are way too many factors out there to generate any definitive fuel range that works for all. There's issues like tire pressures, sprocket changes, inaccuracy of the trip meter, clean vs. dirty air filter, fouled plugs, riding style, hwy vs city, road texture, rolling resistance of tires, headwind vs. tailwind, etc, etc, etc.

As single variants they don't really amt. to much, but with multiple of these small variations, fuel mileage could vary by as much as say 25%.

BTW, while its fun to speculate on this, who really buys these bikes with fuel mileage as a top priority.

PS - They do sell 'endurance tanks' for our GSX-R's, so I suppose you could buy a 24L tank if this is a legit concern. Then you can ride non-stop for some added range (maybe 350km/tank). For my tastes, stopping for fuel gives some much needed time out of the saddle once every couple hrs.

·
Registered
9,633 Posts
Changed my gearing so I have no fucking idea
Don't really care to
Light comes on at 120 to 140 ish
Refill when light comes on usually around 3 gal to fill
I top off everytime before I leave so rarely do I run low.
If I do the math I get like 45 mpg which I know is wrong

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
BTW, while its fun to speculate on this, who really buys these bikes with fuel mileage as a top priority
Gas milege in not a concern. I just wanted to calculate an estimated amount of milege out of a full tank so that in the event that I could not fill up on gas, I would have some idea of how much further I can go before completely running out of gas.

My light comes on around 120-130ish (2.8 gal used / 1.7 left) . So I should get roughly 185-200 miles on a full tank.

·
Registered
9,633 Posts
Have your old lady ride behind you with a gas can and go for a cruise That'll tell you for sure
I am scientist and let me tell you...you count on "theory",
well you can count on walking home cussing while some squid jacks all your shit as your bike sits there. ANd then the monkeys come from runaway and hump it. You'll come back and have no can no plastics and monkey piss in your tank

Sorry for the tangent
Ready to head home from work.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts