Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone do this? i was just looking at door openers and even small ones are somewhat bulky. I saw some threads else where where people used their headlight switch and used the brights switch as a garage door opener.

I was thinking, since i only ride with my brights on all the time, that flasher switch is a waste for me, I could use it as a garage door opener.

What do you guys think?

·
Premium Member
2,082 Posts
It crossed my mind to do that. You would still need to purchase a garage door opener. The open it up and hope the button isn't soldered directly to the board. Ie: wires go from the board to the button mechanism. Assuming thats the case, you would have to extend the wires a couple feet, mount the box in a fashion that protects it from the elements without too much signal interference, then splice into the wire harness to find the the wires and tap them. After thinking on it for a while, I opted to buy a Keychain garage door opener.

$12.00 on ebay.

Attachments

·
That’s Mister Chalet To You ....
7,745 Posts
since i only ride with my brights on all the time, that flasher switch is a waste for me, I could use it as a garage door opener.

What do you guys think?
I think riding around with only your brights is very annoying and possibly dangerous for other motorists and you.

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
7,716 Posts
^+1, particularly at night. The dimmer switch has an unused W lead that's associated with the low beam. Maybe that lead could be moved over to replace the Y lead on the passing light switch.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think riding around with only your brights is very annoying and possibly dangerous for other motorists and you.
cute. maybe on a newer bike. This 2006 with brand new bulbs and ensuring the correct voltage is correct and ensuring the level for both bulbs are correct (see my past threads) both lights are still barely acceptable. Compared to any modern car, side by side this bike is a joke when it comes to headlights.

Oh and I thought for a while it was just mine, but I've now compared to a few older bikes.

So that said, I'm going to make sure people see me to the best possibility and that requires as much of these pathetic lights as possible.

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
7,716 Posts
I guess the issue is aim. It might be OK if you aimed the high beam down to where it was in the same area as the low. There's still an issue of the high beam bulb filament not being shielded but I don't know if that creates a glare problem or not.

·
Captain Obvious ... because obviously it’s obvious
3,860 Posts
cute. maybe on a newer bike. This 2006 with brand new bulbs and ensuring the correct voltage is correct and ensuring the level for both bulbs are correct (see my past threads) both lights are still barely acceptable. Compared to any modern car, side by side this bike is a joke when it comes to headlights.

Oh and I thought for a while it was just mine, but I've now compared to a few older bikes.

So that said, I'm going to make sure people see me to the best possibility and that requires as much of these pathetic lights as possible.
The lights are perfectly fine. Maybe you should find out what's wrong with your bike before blaming the bike as a whole.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The lights are perfectly fine. Maybe you should find out what's wrong with your bike before blaming the bike as a whole.
If you think so, then that's your opinion.
Compared to my buddy's CBR with LED's in it, its not even close. I have a friend with an 05 gsxr and guess what, same output as mine, garbage.

There is a reason there are so many HID/LED kits for these bikes, besides just looks.

There is nothing wrong with my bike, I have two brand new bulbs from that candlepower store online. voltage is normal @ 12.xx volts, there is nothing wrong with the bike, the lights just aren't that bright.

·
Both Handsome AND Pretty!
19,104 Posts
I'm sure people coming at you at night agree with you that your high beam isn't that bright and that they are blinded more by newer bikes with brighter LED high beams.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts