Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Funkyzeit mit Gavveth! Needs a stiff Ass Blasting.
12,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just sold my old carry and now going to pick up a subcompact Glock. I have a week to decide and I keep going back and forth between the G26 (9mm) and the G27 (.40). I already have a ton of 9mm ammo and no .40, so that's a plus for the 26. They are the same price, one ounce difference in weight and with the mag extension 13 +1 for 9mm and 11+1 for the .40

Its going to be my primary carry and wanted to get some opinions from anyone who has either one. :cheers

·
Premium Member
18,076 Posts
g26. there is a very very small difference between the two rounds. More capacity ftw.
its slightly cheaper too so means more practice time ;)

·
Registered
44 Posts
I am not a fan of .40SW. It is much too snappy, especially in lightweight polymer frame pistols. Makes it hard to do a good followup shot.

Personally I would stick with 9mm. However, my final advice would be man the fuck up, ditch that Glock tupperware piece of crap and buy a nice 1911 in .45ACP.:lol

·
PM me for Brotection
57,513 Posts
Of the two, I'd take the 26. As somebody else already mentioned, the .40 supposedly has a pretty snappy recoil to it, especially in such a relatively small and light package.

A well placed 9mm does beat a poorly placed 40.

I carry a .45, so I just picked up a Glock 30 as my backup/carry gun.

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
I normally lean towards .40 because it gives me more options. For the more popular manufacturers/models (namely sig sauer, glock, springfield xd(m), and s&w m&p) there are a couple 3rd party barrel manufacturers that will offer a drop in conversion barrel from .40 to 9mm. For ~$150 you can have a gun that shoots more than one caliber. For my 4" .40 "Service" XD, I got a threaded efk firedragon 9mm conversion barrel so I could shoot suppressed. The existing 12 round .40 mags work, but I also picked up a couple 16 round 9mm mags....works flawlessly. I'll probably be doing the same for my s&w m&p 40 soon. I know storm lake makes conversion barrels for the m&p, I think they also make them for glocks.

During the ammo shortage, I was able to find .40 the majority of times whereas I couldn't find 9mm or .45. That goes for online as well as local shops (especially in the case of walmart). I've heard similar reports from the majority of other people I talk to, but YMMV.

That being said, the comments above about .40 being more snappy are spot on. I'm much quicker for follow up shots in 9mm....and you're obviously going to be able to hold more ammo with 9mm. The majority of tests with ballistics gel that I've seen haven't shown a big enough difference between the two calibers for me to say I must have one or the other. I personally have two carry guns, one the S&W M&P 40 and the other a Kel-tec pf9 9mm. I carry the M&P most of the time and the pf9 when I need something ultra slim and/or light.

·
12,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am not a fan of .40SW. It is much too snappy, especially in lightweight polymer frame pistols. Makes it hard to do a good followup shot.

Personally I would stick with 9mm. However, my final advice would be man the fuck up, ditch that Glock tupperware piece of crap and buy a nice 1911 in .45ACP.:lol
I cant carry a full sized .45 :lmao

·
12,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks guys (except Wally:piss), excellent input :cheers

I think I am going to go with G26 since I already have a stockpile of 9mm ammo and the additional rounds. I will probably either pick up a Kimber 1922 or the newer HK .45 in the future to satisfy my larger caliber needs :biggrin

I'll post pics when I pic it up

·
12,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Aw what the hell, I gave the same advice that you took from others. :flipoff

Stupid Funk :piss
Its only because it came form you :lmao

I was talking more about something like this.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_766386_-1_757754_757752_757751_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

It is made for carry. Scandium alloy frame, commander size 1911.
Although it costs double what a Glock does, but hey, you get what you pay for. ;)
If I was going to carry a .45 it would be this

http://www.kimberamerica.com/products/pistols/ultracarry/

·
Registered
44 Posts
If I was going to carry a .45 it would be this

http://www.kimberamerica.com/products/pistols/ultracarry/

Yeah, Kimber are nice. Probably the best factory 1911 IMO.
The reason, I did not dig the Kimber Ultra Carry, was due to the small grip. I have very large hands. Best I was able to do was get 3 fingers on it. My ring finger and pinky were hanging off.

The SW1911PD has a full size grip. So it fits me better.

However, the Kimber does have an internal extractor. Which I prefer over the unconventional external extractor of the SW1911's.
My SW has a bad habit of launching shells into your forehead once in a while. :cursing

Anyway, my next buy is going to be a custom. Either a Les Baer or Nighthawk. I used to work at a guns shop, and my co worker had quite an exquisite collection of custom 1911's. :drool
He got me addicted to 1911's and gave the the Black Rifle Disease.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Like another poster said, get the 27 cause you can get a lonewolf 9mm barrel for about 100 bucks. Two guns for a little more than the price of one. :)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Yeah, Kimber are nice. Probably the best factory 1911 IMO.
...and a great way to get yourself killed! They're called Jam-O-Matics for a reason... If you're heart is set on a 1911 (mine was), do it right and get a Wilson or nighthawk. Les makes a great 1911 also but tend to need loads of break-in due to such tight tolerences.

OP: As for the G26 vs. G27. If you go with the .40 you can always pick up a 9mm drop-in barrel for $100-150 and use all that ammo you have for practice/plinking. Then you'll have the stopping power of a .40 vs 9mm which is another topic for another day...:chucks

GL with whichever you choose. Practice, practice, practice...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts