Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, my name is Tony. And to get to the point, Tony has to have his back fused due to misadventure. Lol
I currently ride a modified 2001 gsxr 1000, stretched and lowered some. My twisty days are long over, but I can't physically ride a cruiser. Need some advice on reworking my bike for life After the fusion. Or any riders out there that have fused backs?

·
Premium Member
5,004 Posts
I do, when you find it let me know, for me a cushy bike with a good suspension works best, for me it's not the ergonomics, it's the bumps, abrupt bumps fugg me over, so the best way is to get your suspension so its cushy and reacts well with bumps..

use a good synthetic fluid weight that lets the shocks flow easily but then sets you down gently, basically the best working suspension you can get for your bike to absorb bumps like they aren't even there, thats what does it for me the most..

of course after extended mile I cannot stand up straight.. lol

no kidding tho, I've tried a lot of things, kidney belts, back brace, ace bandages.. what I like is good tight fitting soft leather jacket, that helps but doesn't prohibit movement and your ability to dismount the bike..

I have a back brace that goes to far down the back, I litteral rolled off my bike wearing it.. not too cool..

bottom line is pain is a big part of my life, its my wife, my kids, my pet, my everything suckin it up goes a long ways, riding helps suck it up for me.. if I get to the right speed the wind lifts me up and I am weightless, no jokes, better than teeter inversion therapy and why I ride a Busa, heavy bikes tend to absorb bumps better... :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My fusion is next week, hopefully everything will go smoothly.

I always leaned towards cafe racers, was kicking around on a Harley sportster/ street tracker, when I destroyed my back. After the initial injury, I couldn't stand to ride anything without rearsets. So I started looking, I really wanted a busa, but the reach was just a little to much. Around 12 miles was as far as I ever got on one before the pain took over. I could probably have modified it enough to fit, but I found my K1. Previous owner did a little drag racing, a little bike showing. So I ended up with a clean, custom bike, that fits like a glove, runs great, but she needs a little love after 20 years. I would like to upgrade whatever I can without going nuts.

·
Premium Member
5,004 Posts
you can get bar risers for the Busa, what I did, fact is you can go high as you want, some touring guys over in Japan put dirt bike bars on their Busas so it brings the bars right back to em.. little work but well worth it for the comfort, I went with a genmar style back about 1.25" and up an inch, works great..

however you may find it better for your back to actually lean forward and get the weight on your wrists and off your back, once you're at speed the wind catches your torso like a kite and you go weightless, all about smoothness and getting the weight off my back, works for me anyways.. the nerve brunsing is something I have to deal with, I've gotten off my bike with numb legs and had to get right back on, sit there

diving a car no way to get the weight off and its brutal at times, why I am considering something new with better back support.. I was on a flight a few years back and thank God I was the only one in my row, I put the armrest down and laid down across all 3 seats, they knew I was suffering and let it go, BRUTAL.. scared to fly now..

at times the bike is the best way to go, specially freeways, air lifts you up right around 70mph.. feels good, beats hanging upside down on a teeter... lol

1 - 4 of 4 Posts