Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 99 gixxer 750 with about 20k on it.

ok now that thats outta the way i heard a sound coming from what seemed to be in or around the front sprocket. Sounded almost as if it were a loose chain or the chain was rubbing on something, so i tightened up the chain a bit, and a little bit of the rattle went away, but still the same sound.

I dunno, but it almost sound like something outta the transmission, but im not an expert, i know cars pretty well, and 2 stroke dirtbikes pretty well, but im not expert.

any input would help

·
Registered
33 Posts
Does it get louder or does the noise get faster the faster you go? Also, how old is your chain. It may be that your chain is old and worn and has a kink in it. Everytime the kink passes a sprocket it makes a kind of clicking noise. Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
I would lube the chain first... then see if it goes away... Also, does the speedo "jump" around at all??

John

·
Banned
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok i havent had a chance to check the speedo, cause i posted from my house and its at a friends house.

as the to age of the chain im not sure, but ill call the guy that had it before me and see how old it is.

And the sound tends to go away after i get a little bit of speed,

thanks for any input you guys can put into this

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
Well if the noise goes away with speed then I bet it is the chain needing to be oiled..
It is common and as the chain get older it gets worse..

John

·
Banned
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by GSXR-Freak:
Well if the noise goes away with speed then I bet it is the chain needing to be oiled..
It is common and as the chain get older it gets worse..

John
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">cool thanks man

·
Banned
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
it turns out that the chain is missing rollers, ouch, going to buy new chain and sprockets tomorrow

im going one tooth down in the front, and two up in the rear.

oh ya

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
Let me tell you the truth here... -1f and +2rear is A LOT... You might want to just go up 3 in the rear or down 1 in the front.. but not both...

John

·
Banned
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Originally posted by GSXR-Freak:
Let me tell you the truth here... -1f and +2rear is A LOT... You might want to just go up 3 in the rear or down 1 in the front.. but not both...

John
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">yeah ive been thinking bout it, maybe one down in front and one up in rear

1 - 11 of 11 Posts