Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok - before all the K5 owners start posting up hate messages etc, Do not read the below if you are so inclined.
The following specs,stats etc are from magazine Aust Motorcyle News in conjunction with about 20 other Rider / Testers Magazines.
The 20 Different Riders consisted of novice thru to ex GP champs, thru to current super sports front runners and so on - a broad spread of people.
All bikes were placed on exact same rubber and were stock standard.
Bikes were tested over 5 days and were awarded as per the following; 40 percent given for bikes fastest lap. 40 percent given for most people who recorded their fastest lap, And 20 percent is awarded from surveys handed out to the riders.

This is a track only test - but is probably the fairest and most comprehensive test done anywhere. Even the test models (choice of several) had to be with in 5 percent of their model's HP ratings tested elsewhere - so no ring in bikes were "smuggled" in to the test;

Bikes Rear Wheel HP as follows in order; Same Dyno, Same conditions;
-----------------------------------------------
CBR1000 - 142 hp
MV Augusta - 149 hp
Yam R1 - 151 hp
Suz K5 - 154 hp
Kawa ZX10 - 155 hp
-------------------------------------------------
Bikes in Order of fastest laps....

Honda CBR1000 - Best time 1:43.7

MV Augusta 1 - Best Time 1:43:4

Suzuki GSXR K5 - Best time 1:43.3

Yamaha R1 - Best time 1:42.8

Kawasaki ZX10 - Best Time 1:42.6
---------------------------------------------------
Overall Bike Rankings from all who participated
CBR1000 - 5th
GSXR K5 - 4th
MV Augusta - 3rd
Yam R1 - 2nd
ZX10 - 1st
-----------------------------------------------------

Sought of knocks the wind out of the sails of the hype'd up K5 just a little bit.....

Interestingly - I had discussions with some people in a forum about the latest bike not always being the greatest - So I checked out some lap times from other comparisons at same track. Unfortunately the tyres and probably conditions were different but 2 years ago a local magazine was tesing the 03 model Gix 1000 on same track and was recording mid 1 min 42's !! - That's 1/2 a second faster than some of the best riders were doing on the K5 this year....just shows how at the very edge performance bikes are....
PS - I was extremely surprised by the above as well, the magazine hype that surrounded the K5 was huge......but given the conditions under which the above test was conducted, surely one must respect the specs and data supplied ?
Cheers Si.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Different track, different day, different riders, different bikes, different experiences.

Racing my car, my lap times differed up to half a second just about any given lap. Sometimes, if I blew a corner a little, or I let the adrenaline get to me, more than a second. That's life.

·
Registered
90 Posts
They raised the rear ride height of the 10R to get it to lap faster. Have you riden one on the road ? Last thing you need is to make that bike even twitchier. I'm happy with my K5 for the road riding with the occasional track day thrown in, as I'm sure the 10R riders are. Just as well we dont ride magazine articles.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Different day, different ???? - It was all done by the same people on consecutive days on exact same track......
Bottom line is stock bike Vs stock bike, pound for pound, rider per rider - the zx10 is the fastest bike. Not only was did the ZX10 give the fastest lap time, but a higher percentage of riders got their fastest lap on the ZX10.....
They did not raise any thing on the ZX10 to get these times - all bikes were stock as they come from the factory. The made use of the adjusters - nothing else.....

I agree as a road bike - the ZX oversteps the mark, if this were a road test the ZX would be way behind, but as a track test.......well - I'm as surprised as anyone.....

Cheers Si.

·
Premium Member
11,887 Posts
I bought my ZX-10 before reading this article.
I still prefer my slow ass CBR 1K for the street (haven't had neither to the track yet.) No need for excuses, they're all bad ass bikes and I wish I could afford to own one of each.

·
Chubby Chaser
57,844 Posts
That whole thing was posted a month ago. Funny how they rank the K5 4th and about 85% of all other magazine's ranked it first. I would tend to go with the majority on this, not one random shootout from who knows where.

If you believe this:

CBR1000 - 5th
GSXR K5 - 4th
MV Augusta - 3rd
Yam R1 - 2nd
ZX10 - 1st

I've got some nice equity in the Everglades I'd like to sell to you.

·
Registered
139 Posts
sounds like someone who bought a ZX10 and is trying to justify that he doesnt have the best bike anymore.....if he waits like 5-10 more years (Cow) will produce another bike for him

the thing that i have heard and read over and over again is that most people are scared or the raw power that the K5 has and that they did not or have not truly cracked it the way that they have on other bikes

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Are you people even reading the content ? - This is a annual shootout from 20 or so European bike magazines, That's a lot of different countries - including australia - not just one opinion but 20 + .....I own a K2 Suzi and have no interest in the result other than seeing how the other Suzuki owners react to a fair and equitable comp'n.
This comp is the most thorough of any - including US. THe big difference with this comp is the "no ring in Bikes", Same tyres, stock bikes, Good Riders, same track, same conditions etc.....
And it was extremely funny tp read about the post a month ago - the test had not even been ran then...
The ZX won the top speed comp and the top power comp and the fastest lap time comp. More people did their fastest lap times on the ZX and R1 than on the Suzi - it's just facts.
It was funny reading about Randy Mamola in this test - he was saying that the K5 bike did not power wheelie any where near what the K4 bike did, commenting on how last years suzi was an "animal" - doesn;t sound same as you heard eh Shawn ?
What must really, reall scare the insecure people is that a new Kawi / R1 / blade is coming this year !!! - Ifas 20 + high profile magazines say they already have the K5 beat, then they will thoroughly knock it over in the coming months.....
Si.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Honestly, I don't give a flying rat's ass who wins any given shootout. Anyone of those machines is better than probably 99%-100% of us is capable of riding to it's fullest. Pick a color and brand you like and ride the fucking thing. I have always liked my Suzuki dealer, so I bought Suzuki. If my Yamaha dealer wasn't a fucktard i would have bought an R1 and been just as satisfied. Get over yourselves.

·
Registered
472 Posts
that test was bullshit. this bike is lighter, more powerful, stronger frame etc..etc..The only one to hold a candle to it is the 10. and the gix is way more user friendly on the street from what i have read. (havent rode the 10 personally) Make no mistake, this k5 is the superior street/track weapon out there money can buy, oh yeah, and if the duc or the augusta comes to your mind remeber they cost more than twice the dough and need servicing twice as often too. They are all incredible machines but for right now the k5 is on top.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Depends on which mag you read. Every diff. one has their own opinion. I picked up several of the top Euro mags a couple weeks ago along with some of ours from the states and most of them said the Gix stomped a new hole in all their asses.......then I read one someplace that really wasn't all that much into the tne Gix. One here even said it finished something like third or fourth if I remember correctly.

I wouldn't put much into the articles.....just enjoy your Gixxer, we know it's straight baddass

·
Registered
518 Posts
This guy is an idiot. The K5 is a bad ass machine. Go post on another liter bike forum so you will get the response you are looking for. Your just a troll. As for knocking the wind out of the K5 sales, how? The only bike that can even compare to the K5 is the kawy, that's it.

·
Registered
534 Posts
As mentioned before, all these bikes are awesome machines in their own right. But at the end of the day it comes down to the rider, at the track I fly by many liter bikes on my '03 R6 (which has a stock motor). Then I also get the occasional motard that blows right by me as well. Just cause Mladin beats everyone on his Gix 1K doesn't mean we can all go out and do the same thing just cause we too ride a Gix 1K. It's all about the rider. I beat my friend on his '01 Busa and I bet if he and I switched bikes I would beat him on his own bike with him riding my bike. Fact is I'm a much better rider than he is.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Yeah but the fact here is the this SI guy is am idiot.

·
Registered
534 Posts
It does seem that he is just trying to poke a finger in our eye. That's how wanna be people are. He wants to be riding the '05 K5 like us!

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I love it - "No offence to some of the K5 owners who do have some common sense and are out enjoying their bike" but lots of the K5 owners posted up loads of " We have the best bike, we are the best..." crap that we all had to read for months and months. They had zero facts to base their opinions, they just enjoyed telling everyone else that thier bikes were better than everyone else's - period, show ponies, that's all they were.
NOW some hard facts come out, some (intellectual, professional) people's opinions vary than that of their own - and they can't take it......I wonder why some of these people even ride bikes.
Your right Rob - i am an idiot, an idiot that knows a wee bit more about bikes than "that K5 is a bad ass machine" - where did you learn that one, play school ? and I love the "only bike that can hold a candle to the suz is kawa" - mate - your a deadshit, let me guess - you have the K5 and your the best rider in the world because of it ??? The R1 and Blade do hold a candle to the suzi - they are also late model awesome performance bikes. How did you come to your conclusion about that one ? Actually, forget it - i don't want to know...
As for trolling - well i'm not trolling for shit, although I do enjoy reading pathetic responses such as yours, it reminds me that the world is full of dumb people and some of those, unfortunately ride suzuki's....
"wanna be riding the K5 like us"....haha.....that's quite funny as well....having a K2 is enough for me at present, and a gsxr750 track bike, but if i was looking for a current model bike - not too sure if it would be a suzi....bit I certainly wouldn't base my decision on a magazine test.
I wonder how many other K 5 owners just know that thier bike is the best anywhere in the world without actually riding any other models ?
Bring on the Isle of mann proddy race - it's going to have the 4 big jap bikes fighting to the line....
Si.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Re: Full 1000 Sport Bike Comparison - was the K5 Over Hyped

I don't think there is anything wrong with the OP's commentary.

I think if you look at the torque curve, the gixxer is going to be better on the street (below 5K) and the Kawi is gonna be slightly better on the track... in 2nd gear +. All the mags say the handling of the Kawi is great if not a little scary. I was under the impression that the K5 gets a slight nod on the brakes.

I haven't read anything that makes me think the K5 dominates the ZX10 on the track.

Now, if you came to the conclusion that any guy that is really going to track the bike regularly is going to add a steering damper, then you could in fairness easily excede the Kawi's stock engine performance with the same money spent on the K5. But aren't you splitting hairs here? The bikes are really close by most accounts, with the Kawi leading slightly on the track. It sounds to me like they are both a great starting platform for track use.

Most accounts put the K5 well ahead on the street. The K5 probably does deserve to win most comparos unless there is a heavy emphasis on track performance. The OP's comparo is purely track based, so I'm not surprised to see the Kawi up front.... though seeing the R1 in front of the K5 is a little surprising.

I think there is another factor at play here, and that is that one bike may be easier to go fast on with only 1 hour in the saddle. The average person might be faster around a track in a Subaru WRX than a Porsche 911 GT3 because it is just easier to learn. With a certain level of familiarity and mastery, the Porsche should be the faster car. There is really no way to learn from a comparo how fast a bike is around a track when these guys aren't accustomed to riding the bikes. And with the ergos being different for the K5 (peg placement and bar placement), it could have been more difficult for people to adjust to. Maybe if you gave them a month with each bike you could get a better read. How many people can get the suspension dialed in perfectly for themselves on 6 bikes in one day?

I think the K5 may be overhyped, but next year's latest bike will be too.

Since the bikes are so close in performance I think it all comes down to riding ability on the track.

My personal opinion is that if you are a street rider, the K5 seems to be the standout choice. I'll use the extra 10% low end torque all the time. A slight increase in torque at 9K RPM for the Kawi just doesn't mean anything on the street the way these bikes are geared.

http://photos.motorcycle-usa.com/superbiketorque.jpg

·
Registered
301 Posts
Re: Full 1000 Sport Bike Comparison - was the K5 Over Hyped

I don't give a RATS ASS about this, I love my K5.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts