Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Damm thought I had posted this question before I went to work but can't find it so here I go again. Alright my bikes been in storage for about 3 1/2 months now and I filled it up with 93 octane fuel before I stored it. A buddy of mine said that fuel usually goes bad after a month and I should get rid of it and get some fresh fuel. My brother on the other hand did exactly what I did and rode his bike yesterday with no problems. I just don't want something soo small to cause future head aches. Any info would make things easier for me. Thanks guys

·
Registered
117 Posts
Stale or Fresh Fuel:
Fresh fuel (less than 30 days old). Gasoline gets "stale" over time and fresh fuel ignites more easily. Stale gas can leave harmful deposits in your products fuel system.

Today's gasoline does not have the same chemical makeup as years ago. Testing has shown that significant deterioration can begin in as little as 30 days. The first sign of old gas is it makes starting more difficult. This is because the most volatile components of the fuel are the first to deteriorate and are the ones that help an engine start easily.

·
Premium Member
26,774 Posts
Ok...1 question, you stored your bike for 3.5 months.....why didn't you put stabil in your tank??

njracer

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thought I'd be ok from what my bro told me. Too late now but next time empty tank or full with fuel stabilizer?

·
Premium Member
26,774 Posts
Thought I'd be ok from what my bro told me. Too late now but next time empty tank or full with fuel stabilizer?
1st....next time you see your bro...kick him in da nutz and next time you store your bike for 3mo, run to Autozone and shell out the $4.00 for stabil, fill yor tank, add da shit, run da bike for a bit and U R good 2 go.

njracer

BTW - 4 me, 1 bolttle of stabil was enough to do the RC51, da gixxer 600, da SV650, da WR426, da CRF50, da chappy and the Honda generator and I still have some left.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Fuel stabilizer needs to be added to fresh fuel and run for a few minutes for it to be effective. If fuel is left too long, it goes stale and begins to turn into varnish. My advice to you is to get that fuel out of your bike and put it in your car or lawnmower instead. Good Luck!

·
Registered
344 Posts
In other words...don't run the bike with that crap in your tank. Take the time to clean it out real well, and it won't cause you any future headaches. Take good care of the bike, and it'll take good care of you.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
i recently just started my bike after it sat for about 3 months without starting it ....BUT i did add the stablizer to it and ran the bike for a little to so it could run through the system
(3 months ago) ...but when i tried to start it yesterday took like 10 tries then finally i just had to give it some gas to keep it going but the bike is fuel injected so should i have to give it gas to help start it ?...after about 2mins running it staled. but after that it ran fine. is it normal though for a bike to have stablizer in it but be hard to start, then it dies the first time it turns over, it wasnt the battery, although it did sit that whole time with the cut off switch on

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Yes, having to start the bike with stabilized gas is more difficult then normal. Add some fuel cleaner stuff on your next fillup. Wait a few tanks and the bike will be good to go with no problems. Later,

1 - 9 of 9 Posts