Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

After taking the cover off of my 97 srad for the winter I noticed a bubble in the paint on the tank. It then came off and revealed a spot of rust where the fuel was seeping through.

I decided to clean the tank out and seal. When cleaning it out and trying to get the rust off the hole developed into something slightly bigger, nothing huge, about 1mm.

I'm now trying to see what I can do to resolve this? I tried seal all but it lasted about a week and it started seeping again.

I'd just buy a new tank but all the spares seem to be in pretty poor condition.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Hi folks,

After taking the cover off of my 97 srad for the winter I noticed a bubble in the paint on the tank. It then came off and revealed a spot of rust where the fuel was seeping through.

I decided to clean the tank out and seal. When cleaning it out and trying to get the rust off the hole developed into something slightly bigger, nothing huge, about 1mm.

I'm now trying to see what I can do to resolve this? I tried seal all but it lasted about a week and it started seeping again.

I'd just buy a new tank but all the spares seem to be in pretty poor condition.

Any ideas? View attachment 577086
You can only see the outside, will be much worse inside. When it`s thin and rotted time to change. Parts are available.

·
Registered
151 Posts
could have someone braze it and refinish the tank.. probably your best bet..

or clean it up real good and jb weld it from the inside.

·
Registered
151 Posts
yeah.... but if you have no other option... 800 bucks for a mint tank on a 2000 dollar bike is almost not worth it..

a good tank sealer should seal it for a good while...

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
yeah.... but if you have no other option... 800 bucks for a mint tank on a 2000 dollar bike is almost not worth it..

a good tank sealer should seal it for a good while...
Sealer ? op said it lasted a week. Tanks are out there, I have a red&black for £75 ( or $106 ) no rust inside at all. Sure there are plenty more.

·
Premium Member
5,004 Posts
it can be welded, is it just the one area or is it getting thin all over, tap around don't be afraid to hit it hard, any thin spots might push through..

it may be this is where water was settled so it had a chance to rust this area heavily..

small patch job n touch up may be easier than trying to source a good painted tank that matches..

·
Premium Member
5,004 Posts
Sealer ? op said it lasted a week. Tanks are out there, I have a red&black for £75 ( or $106 ) no rust inside at all. Sure there are plenty more.

wow, you have a red n black, that's the original color of mine, someone went flat black over all the plastics?

wonder if I can coax that rattle can paint off? the tank is mismatched may be why they dunnit? crash perhaps? prolly good rash on the plastics?

you got a full kit?

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
wow, you have a red n black, that's the original color of mine, someone went flat black over all the plastics?

wonder if I can coax that rattle can paint off? the tank is mismatched may be why they dunnit? crash perhaps? prolly good rash on the plastics?

you got a full kit?
Only the tank and rhs rear fairing survived the last owner sadly.
The photo`s are of a tank that had been rattle canned over, always worth a look
mike (2).jpg
mike.jpg
mike (3).jpg

·
Registered
30 Posts
I just had a tank I painted let loose in a bunch of spots so I didn’t fix it I waited for a replacement. But as twistedmister said if it’s only one spot it could be fixed. If there’s a radiator repair shop anywhere near you stop in and talk to them. They can boil it clean and weld it up no problem.

·
Premium Member
5,004 Posts
go to youtube, find an account named "doghouse customs" this guy can fix your tank lickety split he is a master metal fabricator and does fantastic work, some the things he's done with gas tanks is insane, good guy too.. say Hi to Blue for me...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
May just have to speak to a radiator shop, there is a bit of rust inside but would say mostly surface.

The spot of rust is probably thin as this is where everything would settle if sitting on the side stand.

·
Premium Member
645 Posts
I have used this product and recommend it, In Aus.
You could clean the tank, then a metal putty repair to the leak, then this urethane coat, may work. (y)

·
Registered
134 Posts
May just have to speak to a radiator shop, there is a bit of rust inside but would say mostly surface.

The spot of rust is probably thin as this is where everything would settle if sitting on the side stand.
I used jb weld on a petrol tank years ago prettymuch same spot. I just roughened it up with sandpaper and put the jb weld over the outside, was still on there years later. Not the nicest fix but it does work atleast till you get another tank.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts