Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a used GSXR750 that was raced last year in WERA for endurance. It appears that the racer used VP fuel and stored it in the tank as well. The fuel tank is pretty corroded. Short of getting a new tank is their anything I can do to get rid of some of this internal rust?

It is getting into the fuel system and cloging up my filter causing power loss in the middle of the power band.

·
Registered
9,968 Posts
thats not a VP issue.

this happens when a tank is repaired and some of the tank sealant begin to flake off internally.

just keep up with cleaning the fuel filter on a regular basis

·
Registered
9,968 Posts
Andy and I both need to do this on our scooters, friggin tanks are rusty as hell inside
why? what the hell did you do to them?

·
Registered
9,334 Posts
how the hell do I know, both our tanks are rusty as crap.... mine was not so bad I never had to mess with it during the season but I cleaned out the bowl a few weeks ago and it was filled with rusty colored sediment. the tank has rust spots all in it.

Andy had to tear his apart and clean crap like twice this past year.

dude its a cheap Chinese piece of shit...... I dont expect it to be that fantastic

also the fuel gage thing in the tank broke off, so the gas gauge doesn't work.

also my oil light stays on continuously even though it has oil.

like i said, cheap chinese piece of shit. but i like it

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have never had a tank I bought brand new and maintained myself rust out on me. I cannot imagine what would do this to a tank besides oxygenated corrosive race fuels.

Either that or Citgo or QT gas. Citgo is full of water.

·
Registered
9,968 Posts
how the hell do I know, both our tanks are rusty as crap.... mine was not so bad I never had to mess with it during the season but I cleaned out the bowl a few weeks ago and it was filled with rusty colored sediment. the tank has rust spots all in it.

Andy had to tear his apart and clean crap like twice this past year.

dude its a cheap Chinese piece of shit...... I dont expect it to be that fantastic

also the fuel gage thing in the tank broke off, so the gas gauge doesn't work.

also my oil light stays on continuously even though it has oil.

like i said, cheap chinese piece of shit. but i like it
must be a MD thing. Mine is fine, so is the one I sold Peter Kates. I sold one to another guy at Loudon and he's loving his as well. No problems other than wanting a bigger main jet and a too soft rear shock

·
Registered
9,334 Posts
I agree on the rear shock... I've bottomed mine out a lot and its shot. the brakes suck too.

but that was me riding it on the road or on the sidewalks around here
for pit use, its ok.

really struggles to get up hills riding 2up though!!!! it barely got up the paddock hills at Barber with me driving and SENOR FATASS riding bitch aahahaa

I would also prob like a bigger main jet, especially with my super exhaust mod
but actually its the mid-range on the thing when you go WFO that is lacking the most, it kida stutters but then kicks in hard when the main jet kicks on. probably needs new pilot or something, but hell i dont care

--->So Adam in your tank you have NO RUST whatsoever ??

·
Registered
9,968 Posts
if there is rust in my tank, i have yet to see it.

if you have rust in there, that would infer you got moisture in there during the winter

·
Registered
9,334 Posts
hmm. i noticed rust starting in there last season when i was still using it. i did drive it in the rain, but oh well. no big deal, just sucks. not too hard to clean the carb bowl and crap but a pain to have to do it more than once a year. we're going to get the kreem crap and try that out

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Mine had rust showing up the 2nd wk-end I had it...And by the 3rd the carb had to be completely disassembled and cleaned/ blown out...and again @ vir in sept...The thing wouldn't even run without the choke on...Like he said...Cheap POS but it serves the purpose...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts