Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 92 oil cooled 750 with stock carburetion, old Vance and Hines exhaust, and pod filters (this is how I bought it). I had a float needle get stuck open, so I cleared that out and it looked like plastic from the in-tank filter had come loose. The screen still looked fine on the filter though. I put it back together and installed inline filters to prevent any other bits from getting into the float seat. Now I have an issue with the right side outlet (next to the vacuum nipple on the fuel valve), it fills with fuel but then runs dry and won't flow fuel so the bike dies after 3 to 5 minutes (I can keep it going if I blow into the vent tube and presurize the tank, then fuel will fill the right side again, looks like I'm taking a breathalyzer while riding). Is it vapor locking because of the inline filter allowing an air pocket? It only starves the right side outlet, the outlet that goes to the rear gets fuel just fine. Can I just not run inline filters? Stumped. ..

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the insight, glad to know I'm not the only one.

I would love to add extra filtration (old stuff breaking down) if possible. Has anyone done that successfully with stock fuel valve?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Just upgrade the fuel tap to a Pingel. I run dual separate cleanable metal filters, with a Pingel, to deal with the rust in my tank.

It's only a matter of time until the standard tap mucks you about anyways......

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the reply, I've been eyeing those fuel taps... spendy buggers. That may have to be the fix. Thanks again!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Resolved: So I went ahead and removed the inline filters and tied the fuel lines as indicated on the parts diagram. I've made 3 short trips and no loss of fuel yet. Hoping the in-tank filter holds up. Thanks for the help

·
Premium Member
4,434 Posts
i don't have much personal experience with second gen dual outlet petcocks, but if you are getting fuel from only one side of the petcock/nipple, and not the other, sounds like it might be the petcock itself. i'd clean it and run it again, or like gixxerrider stated, don't run inline filters, but periodically clean the petcock filter.

i don't run filters on my first gens, but my fuel tanks are in good condition.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts