Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if it has one even tho it does have a fuel pump? I've heard it still does have one because it's carburetted. I'm wanting to drain my float bowls over the winter and don't want to drain all the gas from my tank if it does have a petcock that's on.

·
Premium Member
3,686 Posts
you should in theory be able to drain your float bowls if the petcock is working properly it will stop the flow of gas, if not and its dripping take something like a clothespin and clamp the line..

but if you are storing for any amount of time I would fill it with like 101 race or whatever you can get, fill with a gas free of ethanol, otherwise expect a rusty tank and ruined fuel pump..

yup, even 3 months and it can go bad

sea foam will not prevent rusting and the gas turning to gel or the alcohol absorbing water

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
you should in theory be able to drain your float bowls if the petcock is working properly it will stop the flow of gas, if not and its dripping take something like a clothespin and clamp the line..

but if you are storing for any amount of time I would fill it with like 101 race or whatever you can get, fill with a gas free of ethanol, otherwise expect a rusty tank and ruined fuel pump..

yup, even 3 months and it can go bad

sea foam will not prevent rusting and the gas turning to gel or the alcohol absorbing water
I filled the tank before storage with shell v power and added motor master motor treatment 60ml as per the directions. I changed the oil to.
This is my first streetbike and the first winter so forgive me for being a newb lol

·
Premium Member
3,686 Posts
I wouldn't trust it if there is ethanol in the gas, its going to absorb water and rust things.. best to put a non ethanol fuel in it.. treatment only helps so much, if you have 8% or higher ethanol you'll want to keep an eye on it, shake the tank up at least every other week... keep tank full to the rim at all times, harder to rust of no air gets to it

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I filled the tank before storage with shell v power and added motor master motor treatment 60ml as per the directions. I changed the oil to. I also over filled the tires so I don't get flat spots and I have it on carpet.
This is my first streetbike and the first winter so forgive me for being a newb lol
I wouldn't trust it if there is ethanol in the gas, its going to absorb water and rust things.. best to put a non ethanol fuel in it.. treatment only helps so much, if you have 8% or higher ethanol you'll want to keep an eye on it, shake the tank up at least every other week... keep tank full to the rim at all times, harder to rust of no air gets to it
To my understanding shell v power is no ethanol?

·
Premium Member
3,686 Posts
should be way better than with ethanol.. you should be able to store for some time with stabilizer in that fuela dn drain the bowls.. be sure to put screw back on keep stuff out..

however if it gets hot like southwest hot expect it to evaporate so keep an eye on it and refill to top.. safest way to go

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
I'm not aware of shell selling anything non-eth, but then your canada which may be different. I had to go to a special station which sold 91 octane "recreational" gas. It's a dollar more a gallon. Only sold at select gas stations. Not sure why they sell it and others don't. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it. There's only two stations in my area. It's more that just any premium gas sold at a gas station. It's 100% gasoline. lol

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm not aware of shell selling anything non-eth, but then your canada which may be different. I had to go to a special station which sold 91 octane "recreational" gas. It's a dollar more a gallon. Only sold at select gas stations. Not sure why they sell it and others don't. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it. There's only two stations in my area. It's more that just any premium gas sold at a gas station. It's 100% gasoline. lol
Everyone I've talked to in Canada says that shell and Esso are 0 octane in the 91 octane gas. I wanna be lazy and not drain the float bowls lol it's cold in my garage with no heat.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
should be way better than with ethanol.. you should be able to store for some time with stabilizer in that fuela dn drain the bowls.. be sure to put screw back on keep stuff out..

however if it gets hot like southwest hot expect it to evaporate so keep an eye on it and refill to top.. safest way to go
Digging through my manual on information is exhausting it's a downloaded manual. I still haven't found the section yet on information about float bowls. Not in the carberatour section unless I just missed it lol

1 - 18 of 18 Posts