Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well a mechanic told me that my fuelpetcock was broken so I just took his word for it. Well while looking at eBay for random parts to buy, I noticed that the fuel petcock they had looked just like mine. So is mine really broken? I figured there would be a switch to turn the gas on or off, but there's nothing like that on mine or the eBay one.

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
Yep. you should have a vacuum port on it with a line running the #3 intake.

John

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
Depends on if anything else was done to the petcock and how it is running.

If they didnt change anything else and the bike has a lack of power, yes it could be caused by this.

What is the bike doing again?

John

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Spits and sputters at higher RPMs. If you're in 6th gear, you hit around 6-6.5k RPM, you're pretty much hitting a brick wall, won't go past it. It does this in every gear to some degree.

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
Is it doing this at high RPM or large throttle opening?

John

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
With the petcock jury rigged you may not be getting enough fuel to run properly. It runs out in the higher RPM's

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
High RPM. If you go WOT in 1st-3rd, it'll run like a wild ape until around 11k, then it starts skippin.

·
Registered
36 Posts
The fuel petcock has no manual switch, it's vacuum operated as said above. If it is broken it may not be fully opening, so when you open the throttle the float bowls get drained and your bike will lean out. Get it sorted ASAP, lean = heat = seized motor.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts