Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let's try this... I'm new to bikes and forums. So bare with me... I know that asking for help from people know their shit is the the thing to do. So that's why I'm here. I need some help with a few things, and from what I have read so far, you guys do know your stuff. I have a 2007 GSXR 600 with 22,000 km. I have fuel leaking from an overflow hose at bottom of bike. I fill the tank just 1/2 way, and if starts leaking out of one of the the tubes at the bottom of the bike. I assume it's the over flow? I'm not the expert. Without starting at taking the tank apart, any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
567 Posts
Are you 100% positive that it is fuel? Are you certain that it is coming out of the hose and not running down the outside of the hose. It's pretty easy to lift the tank up and see what is going on under there. I would try that first. I have never experienced this but I find it odd that it only happens if the tank is 1/2 full or more. Does the bike have the stock fuel cap?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For sure it's fuel. Only happens when I fill. By fill, I mean put the 10 or 15$ in. That's all I can get in before it starts to happen. First time i filled, I lost half the tank on the pavement at work. The cap I think is stock. Just got the bike last season. Think it's time to change out?

·
Hand-Eye Coordinator
6,509 Posts
Take a pic of the place where the hose is connected. There is an overflow hose (whcih I don't think this is) and there is a water drain hose, too. I'm thinking it's that and you have an internal issue.

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
My 2000 SV650 did the same when the gas tank was above 1/2 full. Found a huge puddle of fuel under the bike one day after gassing up when all was fine before. My tech told me the tube inside of the tank was rusted out and could not be fixed.

Used tank from Ebay solved my problem. Not saying this is what you have but sounds very similar. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Seen this happen on a ZX14 kawie, hole in the line inside the tank, not fixable.
think there are 2 lines common out of the tank, one is the drain from the filler cap area, other is a vent line that dumps the vapours when the tank pressurizes. if its the line from the filler cap area, block it off at the bottom of the tank and yer good to go, just dont slop fuel in this area when filling the tank. If its the internal vent line, ya got a prollem, tank replacement is bout the only option.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
5 Participants
john kinzell
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing