Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this may sound like a dumb question but i am concerned. So i was told when i first purchased my bike 93 only!! But this afternoon i went to the gas station and at this moment i can say i completely forgot what octane i used and i am afraid it was 83!?!? is there anything i should do this is my first time putting something other than 93.

·
Premium Member
18,076 Posts
So this may sound like a dumb question but i am concerned. So i was told when i first purchased my bike 93 only!! But this afternoon i went to the gas station and at this moment i can say i completely forgot what octane i used and i am afraid it was 83!?!? is there anything i should do this is my first time putting something other than 93.
:wtf your owners manual should state 87 or 89 only. i know 05s take 87. using a higher octane is not recomended not advised unless stated by the OEM. I dont think any of the zukis call for 93 unless its maybe a 1k?:dunno

and where the hell do they sell 83?:scratch

·
Premium Member
117,182 Posts
I cant say I have ever seen 83 in florida :blink

87 is fine. That is what the bike is made for. Anything more is a waste, and might make less power anyway.

The only places I have ever seen 83 is in higher elevation areas IIRC. Like Denver maybe, Montana somewhere I think, maybe North Dakota etc.

·
I move away from the mic
6,548 Posts
There is a misconception in the street-racing world that high octane fuel will make your car go faster or run better. This is simply not true. The octane rating essentially rates the fuel’s resistance to knocking.

Knocking or pinging is a sound that an engine makes when the air-fuel mixture in the combustion chambers ignites too early.

The octane level required by an engine is determined by its compression ratio: higher-compression engines require higher-octane fuel.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your replies i guess ill just ride it out and choose gas wisely next time. oh and lmao i was guessing on the 83 what ever is the lowest octane in fl maybe its 87 thats what i used.

·
Chubbs McPus, the Non-Gay Bashing Scene Kid
779 Posts
whoa! wait i've been dropping three bucks a gallon for jack shit?!?!?! omg i'm gonna bust some ass at the dealership.

really 87 is RECOMMENDED or just ok to use?

·
Premium Member
117,182 Posts
it should have said it on a sticker on top of your tank if you bought the bike new

·
Premium Member
5,378 Posts
There is a misconception in the street-racing world that high octane fuel will make your car go faster or run better. This is simply not true. The octane rating essentially rates the fuel’s resistance to knocking.

Knocking or pinging is a sound that an engine makes when the air-fuel mixture in the combustion chambers ignites too early.

The octane level required by an engine is determined by its compression ratio: higher-compression engines require higher-octane fuel.
Well said! I dont think higher octane will hurt the motor, just your pocket.

My 06 750 owners manual states premium unleaded only.... no less than 90

·
Registered
702 Posts
Well said! I dont think higher octane will hurt the motor, just your pocket.

My 06 750 owners manual states premium unleaded only.... no less than 90
And remember that fuel stabilizer lowers octane by a couple points.

So put 93 in with your Stabil before the winter to avoid pinging in the spring.

·
Chubby Chaser
57,816 Posts
If you're really worried you could pour some NOS Energy Drink into the tank to boost the octane.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts