Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a gixxer powered sand rail and I'm looking for info on the fuel injection system. I was riding it and then all of the sudden It died I waited for about 10 mins then it fired back up rode it about 500 yards then died again. Waited about 16 hours and it fired up ran for about 5 mins and died again. So I replaced the fuel pump and there still was no power to the pump. I then hard wired the pump into a switch and it now has power but still no start. The injectors have no power to them. I replaced the relay and it started up and ran for 5 mins then died. So I took the new pump out and put the old one back in with all the original wire set up. And now I'm waiting for another relay to get here and a F/I injection sensor thinking that might the

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
7,701 Posts
What year & displacement? Get a service manual. As I recall, the injectors get power straight from the engine stop switch (via a distribution block that sits on the valve cover). Ditto the ECM. What is a F/I injection sensor?

·
Dreaming of buttsecks for years...
13,416 Posts
I think the injectors get power from the FP relay and then are ground triggered from the ECM. Do you have the factory gauge cluster to be able to pull any FI codes?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
what does the FP relay look like. I have reaplaced what they call a flasher relay and it ran for 3 mins then died and wont fire back up

·
7,701 Posts
The Geek is right. I was thinking ignition coils when you said injectors. The fuel pmp relay looks like this:

There may be two such relays, the other being for the fan. The contacts side of the relay gets power from the SIGNAL fuse via a R/Bl line. The coil side gets 12V via the same O/W lead that supplies the coils and the ECM. The other side runs to the ECM and is how the coil is turned on/off. If the engine is running for a while, the fuse is probably OK as is the relay. It sounds more like the ECM is turning things off for some reason.

C42 is an ignition switch error. I'm hoping that you don't have an immobilizer system. If not, the error is commonly associated with the absence of a 100 ohm resistor in the O/Y lead from the ignition switch to ECM pin 21. But this normally will prevent the bike from running at all. This problem commonly comes up when people rework the wiring for race-only usage.

P.S. I'm unfamiliar with the exact details of your engine but there ought to be a distribution block associated with the coils. There should be an O/W lead from the engine stop switch that splits off four O/W leads to the coils. It probably sits on top of the valve cover and can be found by following an O/W lead from a coil. I think I see it between the #3 and #4 coils. White body with black cap.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I need you to break this down for me none of these terms mean anything to me. I hate dealing with electrical I wanna pull my hair out.

·
7,701 Posts
Have you replaced the OEM ignition switch with something else?

There's a relevant thread here but it may be more than you're ready to deal with.

·
Dreaming of buttsecks for years...
13,416 Posts
Service manual. Fuel injection system diagram on page 4-14. Fuel pump relay inspection on 5-7, and full wiring diagram in the back. FP relay is near the front of the airbox.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts