Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have fuel dripping from joints in exhaust and a lot of smoke too.Had disconnected the wires from the exhaust valve it’s seized in the open position. Once bike hits 3000 revs it loses power stutters and is unrideable. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
Which bike? post in the correct sub forum, ie gsx-r 1000 k7-k8

·
Registered
302 Posts
The bike was running fine, you disconnected the SET valve because it was stuck in the open position and now gas leaks out of the exhaust joints?
Anything else about the history, if it ran correctly up until you removed the SET valve wires, etc?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The bike was running fine, you disconnected the SET valve because it was stuck in the open position and now gas leaks out of the exhaust joints?
Anything else about the history, if it ran correctly up until you removed the SET valve wires, etc?
It was running perfect before and after I removed the wires from the valve. Then one day it just started chugging and spluttering at about 3000 revs and after that I noticed fuel dripping from the seams in the exhaust pipe and a fair bit of smoke from the exhaust. Now today it won’t start, I put a battery tender on it and it went up to 17.7v and just goes into standby mode straight away.
FB54350D-8F0C-46F4-8D1C-1D4577105D5C.jpeg

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
8,536 Posts
You need to find out where that fuel is coming from. Is it coming from the exhaust or is it somehow dripping onto it? Does it seem OK below 3000 RPM? I guess it could be an injector stuck open but I'd expect it to be much worse at low RPM. Perhaps it's a secondary injector. An infrared thermometer or water sprayed on the headers will detect a dead cylinder.

Is the EXCV stuck or somehow wired to hold it open?

17.6 V is too high. I get nervous at 14.5 V.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Definitely coming from inside the exhaust. It was perfect below 3000. The excv is just seized open, I tried penetrating oil on it but no good. Definitely something not right about the battery, the charger must cut out at 17.7 for safety reasons I guess. I haven’t had the bike long and have no history on it but I had it serviced, oil, filter, plugs, cooolants.

·
8,536 Posts
The EXCV is spring loaded to stay open. You ought to be able to get inside the header and loosen it. But there doesn't seem to be any point if it's open and the system is deactivated.

Was the voltage 17.6 when you first connected the charger or after a bit? I'd be inclined to try another charger. You can run the battery down to reasonable levels by turning the ignition on but leaving the engine stop switch off, i.e. the headlight will bring it down fairly quickly. But you need a voltmeter to follow the battery voltage. At that point you could reconnect the charger and see what happens.

Are you skilled enough to remove and test the injectors? They're fairly easy to remove except that the fuel rail mounting screws tend to get stuck. It sounds like you should be focusing on the secondaries. You could try swapping the primaries and secondaries to see what happens. It sounds like it then won't run at low RPM. However I'm a tad uncomfortable with a stuck open injector, if that's what it is. Removal & testing is the best route. There are youtube videos about testing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks that’s very helpful information. I will try running down the battery that way. It was at 17.5 and went to 17.7 in like a split second and went to standby. I don’t know anything about injectors or bikes in general but will definitely have a look on YouTube and have a go at it. Thanks again.

·
8,536 Posts
There was a recent K7 thread here where I warned him about stuck fuel rail bolts and that's exactly what happened. Beyond that it's rather easy to get to the injectors.

I hope you have a service manual.

P.S. An injector that is stuck open is possible but unusual. When one stays open it's more common to be an electrical problem, namely a short to ground of the lead from the injector to the ECM. So inspect the wiring harness between the injectors and the ECM for damage. Mechanical or electrical, it still doesn't fully explain dripping fuel, running OK below 3000 RPM, and running badly above it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I got the battery sorted the way u said, thanks for that. Started it up and I think you’re right that the fuel is coming from somewhere else other than the exhaust. I haven’t got as far as the injectors yet I’m just looking on YouTube at how to get the fuel tank off first. I don’t have a manual.

·
8,536 Posts
You shouldn't be working on the bike without the Suzuki service manual.

Fuel leaking from the fuel rail could burn the bike and your garage to the ground.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts