Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the month for fuel cock defects. But anyway here my problem. I finally get the bike running(I had to wait for a cooler line) And just installed the stage 3 kit. The bike seemed to be riding fine but then it was acting like it was out of gas As I was riding i turned the bike to pri and it was fine. What do u think it is? Can I ride with pri on all time and also res works too. I check all the lines nothing came off.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
I have a Pingle petcock on mine, it doesn't have a res position. just off and on.

Pri should be ok for riding just make sure you turn it off when you stop the bike. The floats should stop the fuel when the the bowls get full, but a little dirt and you may walk out to your bike and find the motor covered with gas. I always turn mine off when I park it. You get used to it after a while. Now I keep reaching down to turn off the fuel on my 1k before I realize I not riding the 750.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I always rode mine with it on pri and never had a problem ...when ever it was "on" position the gas wouldn't flow ... so i left it on pri and thats that ...... worked fine

·
Registered
92 Posts
I've had my '89 for only a week now, and my fuel valve is also driving me nuts. Mine only works on reserve. I'm getting the pingle.

·
Registered
99 Posts
had a problem with mine, dirt got in & blocked float open, gas drained into engine, denniskirk had a rebuild kit for $33.in last years catalog, the tank filter won
t stop all dirt.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
put a pingel petcock on it and that will solve all your fuel flow problems...just make sure you turn it off when the bike isn't running...we carry the pingel line of product...petcock with the adapter $65 plus shipping...

thanks,
dwayne

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Originally posted by 90blugixx:
had a problem with mine, dirt got in & blocked float open, gas drained into engine, denniskirk had a rebuild kit for $33.in last years catalog, the tank filter won
t stop all dirt.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I had the same thing happen, filled my crank-case with gas. I put 2 $1.50 fuel filters in-line with the petcock. Had to change them once a year but it baets the hell out of tearing the carbs apart, or damaging the engine.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I've kept mine in reserve for years, because I want every drop of gas available. A Pingel would be nice for the gixxer.

·
Premium Member
3,183 Posts
When PRI is the only option, your vacuum line from the carb intake runner to the petcock is either leaking or blocked, ergo not enough ooomph to open the vacuum petcock. The cheap way around it is to replace ALL the fuel lines from the petcock, ie two to the carbs and one to the intake runner. Dump the stock 'clamps' and use small zap straps that can be really tightened with needle points.

While at it, put in longer than stock lines, but don't dump the coiled protectors (wire).

I finally went Pingel. FUCK IT!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts