Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was riding hard after taking off from a stoplight, still in first gear and wham that front wheel came right up on my 03 SV650. Suprised the shit out of me so I let it down again pretty quickly. At the same time it was fucking awesome so I did it again right afterwards.

I told myself I wouldn't get started with doing a lot of wheelies so I'm thinking that will be it for me. I can just picture myself seeing some hotties and showing off for them and then fucking myself up. lol.

You guys remember the first time you went on one wheel?

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
I must admit. I've been trying to come up with some assinine thing to say, but just can't think of anything. :scratch

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
av_fan said:
I must admit. I've been trying to come up with some assinine thing to say, but just can't think of anything. :scratch
:lol +1 But it's ironic because we've all been where this guy is at some point.

Congrats on your first wheelie, bro. With time you'll learn to stop rollin on or back off just fractionally when the front comes up. Wheelies limit acceleration.

But being able to stay in control and not have the reaction to "chop off the throttle" will be necessary at some point in your life as a motorcycle rider. Just keep increasing your skills incrementally, and keep having fun!

BTW, my first wheelie was at 18 years old on a 95 EX500 ninja. I was coming off a railroad track and it smoothly lifted about 6 inches and smoothly went back down. I went back and forth over the tracks about 15 more times that afternoon, crest-wheelying every time!

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
My first wheelie was on my K1 600 and I was 19 years old. I actually read the wheelie guides on this site for months along with other walkthroughs on the net. After I made sure I had everything down mentally, I took it slow. Started with power wheelies, and WHOOO it was a rush. My first time, I barely got it up a few inches, but it did feel good.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
If I remember correctly, my first wheelie was on a KX 125, I think. It was a friend of mines bike. That damn powerband kicked in a lifted the front wheel up about 10-12 inches... scared the living shit out of me. I had to keep trying after that though. I couldn't do much on my piece of shit Honda XL 100, so he always let me ride his. I was probably about 14 years old at the time. That 125 was a bit too much bike for me though. Kinda funny how to this day I still suck at riding wheelies. Think the furthest I have gone is about 2 blocks, or so.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Not long after I bought my bike, I was on my way to work, and after I got off the freeway, decided to see what happens when I stay in it all the way through 1st gear.

Around 10k, the front wheel started coming up. I panicked, chopped the throttle and thought "perhaps I should get a few more miles under my belt before trying that again"

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
av_fan said:
I knew you guys were going to be out for my head on this one.... I've been on one wheel on dirt before, but on a road bike is a different story completely. And bottom line, I'm not a squid :D

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
97GixxSix said:
I knew you guys were going to be out for my head on this one.... I've been on one wheel on dirt before, but on a road bike is a different story completely. And bottom line, I'm not a squid :D
The fact that because of my post you know that we think you're gay for starting a thread like this. I feel I've done my job. :lol

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
I can't remember the first time I got the front wheel up, but I do remember doing some 5th gear wheelies on my 2-stroke Honda CR250. I replaced the reeds in that bitch, took me half a fucking day, and after that that fucking thing hauled so much ass it was unbelievable.

·
eh'hole
2,104 Posts
Ive done a few non intentional wheelies going down hills and cresting over small bumps and shit. Strange though because I can go almost full throttle in first gear and it wont come up. The -1 +2 conversion Im doing soon should fix that up good.

In the end, I dont know about you guys but taking a corner doing 140 when Im leaned the fuck over gives me more of a rush than having my front wheel in the air.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well, I accidentally did my first stoppie a few weeks ago. I was at the Beaver Run racetrack, just turned a pretty quick session and was all ampd up. I pulled into the pits and my buddy was standing right where I normally park, so I rolled up to him to spook him and hit the brakes.... whoooaaa.. I was almost looking down, then the bike settled. We were both shocked at first, then laughed. Haven't done it since and won't. I like both wheels on the ground (however, at an extreme lean angle)...
Mike
00 R6
05 GSXR 750

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
av_fan said:
The fact that because of my post you know that we think you're gay for starting a thread like this. I feel I've done my job. :lol
very funny, avfan. i started it as a share your first experience type deal. road is a lot different than dirt. but, just like me everyone has had their first wheelie on dirt.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
The first time the front wheel came up for me was when I was about 13-14 on a YZ80. The next thing I remember was looking up at the sky and seeing the bike laying beside me in a corn field around my area. As for my GSXR, I try to keep both wheels on the pavement, I can't afford to replace it if it goes down doing something stupid.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.