Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,340 Posts
grab a full ceramic bearing kit, OEM spacers, call it a day, can you imagine trying to sell the bike then have to explain the bearing set up? "well ya see"

if you want to see how much better ceramics are over stock watch a few vids, we're talking MPG and HP, its not huge but the rolling resistance is huge, you can coast for days and days, and days... lol

·
Premium Member
1,326 Posts
grab a full ceramic bearing kit, OEM spacers, call it a day, can you imagine trying to sell the bike then have to explain the bearing set up? "well ya see"

if you want to see how much better ceramics are over stock watch a few vids, we're talking MPG and HP, its not huge but the rolling resistance is huge, you can coast for days and days, and days... lol
I went looking for Ceramic wheel bearings, and found the cost out of my budget.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I went looking for Ceramic wheel bearings, and found the cost out of my budget.
I did bicycle race in the past. Some guys replace steel bearing by ceramic.
Two things to know :
1- Good steel bearing will always be more efficient than chep ceramic bearing
2- Gain on ceramic over steel bearing are at high speed (more than 10000tr/mn). At wheel speed (bicycle or motorcycle), it is a marginal gain. It could by justified when you try to save every 1/100 on a laptime.

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
10,411 Posts
My suspicions tend to align with Atiroocky. With regard to the 25x52x15 front wheel bearings, here and here are some to consider. The price of the second bearing makes me suspicious but I don't claim to be knowledgeable about the topic.

Here's a more precise ABEC-5 bearing. It's where the price starts to get out of hand.

These guys appear to buy steel bearings from Koyo, etc. and switch the balls to ceramic. Note the endorsement from Worldwide Bearings. They talk about great prices on their main page. I plead ignorance.

·
10,411 Posts
^They're available as a $115 option on BST front wheels ($185 for the rear), which have DOT & JWL approval. So I'd trust them. But price is still an issue. I've seen references to avoiding shock or impact loads with ceramics, ex. here, which has made me wonder. However it's a bit dated and methods may have improved. So ti-6-4's comments are reassuring. I've always wondered if those videos of wheels spinning forever use bearings that have no seals or grease.

·
Premium Member
7,340 Posts
yessir ceramic is brittle compared to stainless, does not have a lot of tensile strength, not like stainless anyways, thermal properties tho, not sure they get smoother isn't ceramic a lil porous? gotta be about weight and thermal properties.. they work real good for sure

·
Premium Member
1,326 Posts
We tried Ceramic Ball Bearings on my son's skate board. And he quickly smashed them to pieces.
This would be a high impact loading for the small bearings. The steel bearings worked till they rusted.🛹

·
10,411 Posts
See this about bearing strength. It indicates that not all ceramic balls are equal. Off hand CBR sounds like a preferred source. He works out of his house in Fallbrook, CA. Here's more. I'm curious enough that I've asked him what a 6205-2RD would cost. It's similar to the standard front wheel bearing, but with low drag seals.

·
Registered
69 Posts
We tried Ceramic Ball Bearings on my son's skate board. And he quickly smashed them to pieces.
This would be a high impact loading for the small bearings. The steel bearings worked till they rusted.🛹
Lol. That chinesium is probably not even close to the same quality as the Timken or Barden hybrid silicon nitride bearings used in jet engines. Or by pro race teams for that matter.

·
Registered
502 Posts
^They're available as a $115 option on BST front wheels ($185 for the rear), which have DOT & JWL approval. So I'd trust them. But price is still an issue. I've seen references to avoiding shock or impact loads with ceramics, ex. here, which has made me wonder. However it's a bit dated and methods may have improved. So ti-6-4's comments are reassuring. I've always wondered if those videos of wheels spinning forever use bearings that have no seals or grease.

But... for OEM wheels the Ceramic bearing kit is even more expensive @ ( $395 USD / $560.13 AUD ) ...... from Brocks.

Ceramic Wheel Bearing Set Suzuki Hayabusa (08-22), GSX-R1000 (00-21), GSX-R1000R (17-21), and GSX-R600/750 (00-10) for OEM Wheels

You can buy the set of 5 Suzuki OEM steel bearings for $116.21 USD...... Total.

So the Ceramic bearings are 71% more expensive than the OEM steel bearings.

Are you going to gain 71% increased performance after fitting your fancy $395 bearings... No.

Are you going to be even able, to feel the difference after installing them, the difference would be so negligible / minuscule.

IMO it's a total waste of time and money for predominately used street bikes with occasional track use, which the vast majority of people use their bikes for.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Hello all,

I went to the trackday last WE with these new set of wheels. No issue at all. Disc brakes alignement with caliper is perfect. And PowerSlick2 (Michelin) are just great.
I’ve received OEM spacers and bearings. I’ll swap all those things when I have time (need a bearing puller…).

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
How much did you pay for the wheel set?
What's the average price people are paying for fronts, and rears?
Thanks
About 1300$ the set without tyre, rear sprocket and left/right spacers.
In France there are not so much L7 models and othe superbikes, because of price, insurance and cops everywhere !
I was looking for these sets for a while before finding one.
Rear wheel is almost brand new
Front has some mileage.
At that price I won’t loose money if i decide to sell it.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts