Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Swapping the front sprocket on my K3 tommorow. Is there anything im gonna run into that i should know about? Do I need to shorten the chain? and lastly i heard that the chain markers on the swing arm dont line up on each side so what is the proper way to adjust the chain back out? thanks!!!!

·
Registered
919 Posts
no, as long as you're only doin 1 tooth (i assume ur only doin one cause u didnt say anything about the rear) your chain SHOUILD be fine. The markers do not always line up, so i usually measure with a string (measure length from opening in swingarm where axle sits with string on chain side for perfect chain tightness, and copy that length on the other side)... its always a good idea to change chains when you change sprockets (so they wear together) but whatever... have fun

·
Premium Member
73,384 Posts
yes 17 is stock. when changing the front sprocket, make sure that you brace the rear wheel to keep it from spinning, do not put the tranny in gear to do this. i use a breaker bar wrapped in towels so that i do not scratch the rim and stick it in between the spokes of the rim and the s/a. all in all it is a very easy installation.

·
He Who Touches Himself
6,620 Posts
It's a pretty siple straightforward process. Like it was said before, find a way to stop the rear wheel from spinning. I like the idea of wrapping a bar in a towel. Hopefully you won't run into what happened to another on the forum, somebody used Red Loctite and he damn near snapped the shaft, but he got it off.

Good luck and don't forget to torque it back to specs!

·
Registered
174 Posts
what is the best speed recalibration box to get when changing the sprockets?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts