Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is it for the 1100? :dunno Been paging thru my manual, can't find where it covers disassembly/reassembly and torque values for that particular item.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
... and BTW, rear axle castle nut torque value for the 'Busa is a precise 72.5 ft-lbs.

The things you learn w/ a hybrid!

·
Fortunae Nihil
2,906 Posts
FFE, correct me please as I don't have my manual at my fingertips but doesn't the front sprocket have a backing lock-nut that you bend over one of the flat sides of the sprocket nut once 'tight'? I've only used an air tool to tighten mine and used the locking washer to ensure it wouldn't back off. I'll check my manual regardless.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mine doesn't. It's got a threaded hole near the locking nut that seats against a nut face to keep it from backing out.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
off topic, when i got my '95 my front sprocket didnt have one on it. rode it for about 2 mnths before i looked at it and started looking at it.

·
Fortunae Nihil
2,906 Posts
What is it for the 1100? :dunno Been paging thru my manual, can't find where it covers disassembly/reassembly and torque values for that particular item.
Jason, Page 8-37 of the Factory manual

Look for 'Engine Sprocket Nut' and 'Engine Sprocket Nut Stopper Bolt' about 3/4 down the page.

·
Premium Member
5,921 Posts
i dont know the torque specs, but one person putting it in gear with a hand and foot full of brakes and another with a breaker bar will keep it on. i torqued mine down by standing on the breaker bar.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thx. I went thru fwd and bkwds, didn't see that. Appreciate it.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
And thus sayeth the great book of Suzuki, on the 37th subsection of the 8th chapter, that the value of such torque shall be not less than 72.5 ft-lbs but not more than 94 ft-lbs.

So we pulleth the pin on the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch and counteth to 3 and not 5...

Thx, Gord.

·
Fortunae Nihil
2,906 Posts
And thus sayeth the great book of Suzuki, on the 37th subsection of the 8th chapter, that the value of such torque shall be not less than 72.5 ft-lbs but not more than 94 ft-lbs.

So we pulleth the pin on the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch and counteth to 3 and not 5...

Thx, Gord.
Would you be the 'Jabberwock' or indeed, one of the Knights who say, 'Neeee'?? :lol

·
Premium Member
5,378 Posts
I use an impact gun on my front sprocket. Then loctite the safety bolt on.

·
Registered
379 Posts

Thx, Gord.
AMEN

·
Premium Member
7,715 Posts
I had a weird thing happen to me. My old 600 motor had the small lock bolt and washer but my 750 motor didn't... :dunno

I did find out after about 800 miles on my 520 front sprocket that the large nut was loose.

When I replaced the sprocket with a new 520 that was +1 tooth I cleaned all of the crud and grease off the output shaft and then used blue Locktite on the threads before I tightened down the large nut. It hasn't came loose yet and it has at least 500 miles on it now.

·
Chubby Chaser
57,844 Posts
Something like 85 ft/lbs I think.

FYI, I went back and looked at my manual (K5 1000) and it says 83 ft/lbs.......also looked at the manual for an 86 1100 and it says betweem 72 and 94 ft/ lbs :D

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Would you be the 'Jabberwock' or indeed, one of the Knights who say, 'Neeee'?? :lol
What is the world coming to when a young man can walk up to an old woman and say, "Shrubbery"?

·
Fortunae Nihil
2,906 Posts
:lmao

...or accusing one's mother of being a hamster or father of smelling of elderberries! Now that's the stuff!

·
Registered
533 Posts
FFE, correct me please as I don't have my manual at my fingertips but doesn't the front sprocket have a backing lock-nut that you bend over one of the flat sides of the sprocket nut once 'tight'? I've only used an air tool to tighten mine and used the locking washer to ensure it wouldn't back off. I'll check my manual regardless.
would an impact gun not strip the threads?????

·
Premium Member
5,378 Posts
would an impact gun not strip the threads?????
There are different torque settings on the impact gun. Do they strip the threads on your wheel studs of your car? No, and every mechanic that I know, including the Nascar guys use one.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
1st, I use an impact gun on stuff like this (ie, stuff that can turn like the mainshaft). 2nd, yes the impact gun can damage stuff, but not the mainshaft threads -- it'll damage the needle bearings that support the mainshaft before it'll damage the threads on the mainshaft. I've torqued off the HUGE nut that held the compensator sprocket (front primary drive sprocket) on my Harley w/ an electric impact gun, was not a fun feeling. But it didn't damage a thing on the crankshaft threads when it happened. The mainshaft is so hard (it has to be) that normally only catastrophic failure will result in it breaking/shearing off.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts