Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased an 07 GSX-R 750 and the previous owner stated it had been lowered. I was looking to see if it was something I could adjust or if I'd have to purchase new suspension all around. I just got the chance to look at it today and this is what I saw. I tried to press on the back of the bike and noticed there is no movement up and down. I'm assuming I'm looking in the right area and that this means there is no spring on the back at all. Just wanted to get the opinion of the pros here before I started spending money. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
'pears to mo that some body thiefed the shock, e-bay is yer friend to find nuther one..
this skooter is gone ride like a POS till ya get the proper shock mounted..

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I already found one that included the rear swing arm for 140, I'm assuming it's a safe buy. Hopefully it wouldn't be something cheap that'll break on me while I'm riding.

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Would anyone have the slightest idea why someone would completely remove the shock? I can't even think of a logical reason. One of the biggest things I've learned, thanks to tatersalad314 ;), is that loading the rear suspension is vital for cornering. If there's no suspension to load, then it's no wonder I felt weird in the curves when I rode it...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Would anyone have the slightest idea why someone would completely remove the shock? I can't even think of a logical reason. One of the biggest things I've learned, thanks to tatersalad314 ;), is that loading the rear suspension is vital for cornering. If there's no suspension to load, then it's no wonder I felt weird in the curves when I rode it...

Yes, very unsafe, you were lucky you didn't crash, I would go back to where you bought it from and ask for the rear shock to be returned or for the cost of a new one; and give them a bollocking.

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So this is literally all I had for a rear suspension...people really are stupid. I ordered two used ones from eBay just to be safe lol. Anybody know what this is and if it's something I could sell on eBay? Thanks again guys!

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Also if anyone could let me know where to look or how to tell if the front has been lowered I'd appreciate it. I can send pictures of anything. As of now my bike is parked until I get actual suspension. So I might as well dig in lol

·
Registered
342 Posts

It's a drag racing thing. Usually used in combination with extended swingarm and wheelie bars.

As far as the front being lowered look to see how much the fork tubes stick above the top clamp. Should only be 1/2 inch or less, but consult the service manual for exact measurement.

Oh and for that swingarm, seems to good to be true caveat emptor.

·
Premium Member
73,190 Posts
That poor bike...

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That poor bike...

You're not kidding, I'm going to try my best to get everything back to OEM Specs. This has nothing to do with suspension, but are there any common places for gixxers to leak oil. I have a really slow oil leak and I can't figure out where it's coming from for the life of me. Thanks!

·
Registered
9 Posts

Of course I would, hardtails show how tough you are and that is what bikes are supposed to do, make you look cool. Safety smafety, it is all about badassness. I am headed to the garage to remove all suspension too. And to hell with ground clearance and handling, useless. Is there a spring removal kit for the forks? I am thinking I don't need them either. Hardnose/hardtail, that will be awesome! I will add some spikes. Remove the seat. Maybe even let all the air out of the tires. Super tough!

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
36 Posts
The front fork tubes are too high, which is lowering the front end, and changing the geometry of the motorcycle. Lowering the front will reduce rake and trail, which increases steering responsiveness at the cost of stability. The rear suspension being too stiff means the tire will lose traction after hitting a bump because the tire can't follow the road. With these two things combined you have a very unstable motorcycle. I recommend parking it until it's fixed. And never screw with your rake and trail. It's too technical and it changes too many variables on the motorcycle. A team of the best motorcycle engineers with the best equipment available figured out that algorithm for you.

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You should visit the previous owner of that bike and beat the shit out of him with that.

I'm going to use this page of the service manual to get everything back the way it's supposed to be. Some people seem to think their ideas are better than any engineers idea. Because engineers haven't tested and tested and tested the way they have it set up to make sure it's efficient and safe at all...

·
Registered
342 Posts
I'm going to use this page of the service manual to get everything back the way it's supposed to be. Some people seem to think their ideas are better than any engineers idea. Because engineers haven't tested and tested and tested the way they have it set up to make sure it's efficient and safe at all...

Let's not forget these same engineers created the 89 GSXR 1100...

And enough fear mongering, yes messing with a bikes geometry can be bad, but it's done by experienced people all the time who don't have engineering degrees.

·
Registered
36 Posts
If they don't have engineering degrees I hope they paid attention in trigonometry. Glance over this page which explains how trail affects the motorcycle, and the algorithms used to calculate those affects.

http://www.sportrider.com/art-science-fun-geometry

After looking that over, multiply the complexity of how technical you think it might be now after reading a little about it by a factor of 100, and square it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
About this Discussion
26 Replies
11 Participants
thegsl
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing