Discussion Starter #1
HI guys
is there an easy way to remove the front mudguard/fender on a
1000 k3 ?
without removing the wheel ?

·
Premium Member
73,190 Posts
I always had to pull the wheel, I always worried I would crack the front fender.

·
That’s Mister Chalet To You ....
7,745 Posts
Stupid question (my specialty): It helps prevent gravel from f-ing-up the rad to an extent, doesn't weigh much and isn't really too visible. Why would one remove it? Weight savings for the track?

·
Premium Member
73,190 Posts
Stupid question (my specialty): It helps prevent gravel from f-ing-up the rad to an extent, doesn't weigh much and isn't really too visible. Why would one remove it? Weight savings for the track?
He didn't say remove permanently... Maybe he is swapping it out for a new one?

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i wanted to remove it to fit a fender extender , to protect the very things you mentioned =)
the lock on the steering inst enough to fit one whilst its on properly and easily

a simple job is starting to look tougher...bah lol

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
7,714 Posts
On my K6 there's a trick way involving moving it up and rotating it 90º (side-to-side, not front-to-back) to where it will come out. I've forgotten the details, only that it was easier to figure it out when reinstalling than when removing (not 100% sure that I didn't first remove the wheel). It's not uncommon for racers to cut off the rear supporting legs to make removal/installation easier. Magical Racing sells one like that, which also has the front of the fender trimmed an inch or two to make quick wheel changes easier. However the fender has a real effect on aerodynamic drag. The ugly (to me) Busa fender with its greater shrouding has a real advantage there. I've met Bonneville racers who claim that the Busa style increases their speed. So there are several competing issues at play.

·
Registered
219 Posts
On my k3 I didn't see any other way besides removing the wheel. Heck, it was even tough with the wheel completely removed. I tried all kinds of positions but it still ended up scratching a little while putting it back on. Leads me to believe there is no way to remove it with the wheel on.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I just replaced my fender on my 03 1000, and have had it off a few times, you have to remove the front wheel.

1.) I remove and hang both calipers off to the side, no need to remove brake lines.
2.) Loosen the Fork Pinch Bolts on the throttle side of the bike (The Allen Socket Portion of the Axle), keep opposites tight.
3.) Use appropriate tool to untighten remove Axle, I use the Motion Pro tool, but also have a home made job with a big bolt and 5 nuts that fit the space.
4.) Remove Wheel carefully.
5.) Remove 6 fender bolts and slowly twist and remove fender.

Least the baove works for me, your needs or results may vary.

·
Registered
631 Posts
First, front wheel must be off.

Now, the way to remove without scratch or bending it in any way is to rotate as Bill said.

get the rear mounts clear by raising slightly then rotate completely around and remove upside down.

Same with installation..you will start upside down...practice with old fender if replacing .

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts