Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
98 gsxr 7 fiddy, 2600 miles, Lately I've noticed that theres a lot of play in the neck/forks when I get on the front brake, something feels really loooose. I have no mechanical knowledge whatsoever and dont want to let the local shops rip me off and tell me i need a new whatever. Is there something i can tighten? stop doing 1st gear wheelies?

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
Sounds like the head bearing are loose... Check it out..

John

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
my uneducated verdict is steering head bearings, they are loose and require adjustment.

there may well be a previous topic covering this so i'd do a search of this forum for it.

·
Premium Member
8,926 Posts
Yeah.... what they sed... I had fork problems a coupla months ago... but it didnt sound like what you are getting from your bike... mine pulsed... go ahead and have the bearings adjusted... as i understand its a simple adjustment to the thingamajigs(cant think of the name) on top of the triple tree.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
wow, thanks for the replies, I didnt expect so many so fast =)

I looked at the thingamabob on the neck but have no clue what kind of wrench to hit the bitch with, it looks like a sprocket of some type that I've never seen in my life.

·
Registered
4,747 Posts
i think i have a prob similiar to what is staed above however i know for a fact mines not the bearings..it seems to be coming from the forkk tubes them selves..they sound loose inside or something, ive never pulled them apart so im not sure what it could be but if i lock my brack and bounce on the front it feels a lil loose and makes a lil click noise....any ideas?

·
Banned
6,048 Posts
j-

if they make a clicking like sound, it could mean they are at the end of their travel, or the end of hteir life.....could be time for some fresh oil, or even new springs......

im kinda goin down the similar path...

-s

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
i'll give you destructions from haynes manual :

1. raise the tank to you dont belt it one.
2. loosen steering stem top nut, and slacken bottom yolk fork clamp bolts.
3. use C spanner or hammer and drift and loosen top adjuster locknut to head bearings.
4. then very lightly loosen actual adjuster nut untill pressure is released.
5. then retighten untill freeplay is taken and a very light loading is applied to the bearings, but the steering should still move freely and smoothly, no binding or notchiness.
6. tighten locknut.
7. and steering stem nut and bottom yolk bolts.
8. check it out.
9. if you cannot adjust so the play is taken up and it still binds and catches, then bearings may be playing up and/or need greasing.

hope that helps. dan uk.

one thing i didnt mention above though is to raise the front wheel off the ground with a chock under the exhaust or something.

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
If the inner and the outer tubes move fron to back then you might need new fork bushings.

John

1 - 9 of 9 Posts