Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When the bike is cold, and I have to ride it through my yard to get to the street, it sounds like the forks are making a clunking sound when hitting the bumps. Could this be because they are cold? Is there a way to test the forks compression, or oil? And how sensitive are the adjustment screws on top of the forks? like, does half a turn make a big difference, or do you have to turn it a few times? I never messed with any of the fork settings.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
A clunking sound isn't good. Mine don't make a clunking sound, but I can hear a noise when they compress at low speeds, which I guess is the oil moving through the passages.

If your forks are leaking oil, it will come out at the fork seals and you should be able to see it. If it isn't leaking there shouldn't be any reason they are low on oil. You have 2 adjustments on the top of the forks. One is preload (the big outside screw) and one is either compression or rebound damping (I forget which is on top and which is on bottom). They aren't ultra sensitive from what I can tell. You should really read up a little on suspension settings before making adjustments though. Sport rider has some great info on this.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I remember someone posting a while back about this clunking noise while driving a low speeds and hittin' bumps, or also hard breaking at low speeds. They stated it sounded like the forks were actually moving back and forth a tad bit. Once the pressure was released from the forks it would clunk back in place, and the person could feel it. I actually have this problem on my bike too, and they were stating it was something with the steering damper oil or something. I can't remember, just run a search!

·
Registered
185 Posts
i had that same noise, but only when i first started. Someone told me that it was just the seal getting unstuck. It made one pop and that was it. If its making more than one, then I don't know. Mine only did it during the colder weather. Above 65 its fine

·
Registered
528 Posts
Make sure you check to see if your forks aren't moving back and forth. Put it on a front stand and pull and push on them, if you get some play then you need to pull out the old service manual and start torqueing everything in site

·
Registered
33 Posts
GUYS i think is the brake disc pin loose, change ur disc by pulling frontward and backward . cos mine also have the same problem when i check the fork and tighten the steering it still the same .later then find out is the disc pin loose

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.