Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Guys, any chance of found a 10 mm spacers front callipers without the collars?
600 k4, got upgraded to a 320 rotors. All spacers u found so far comes with collar and doesn't fit as intended, leaving athe collar out of the bolts socket.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Think you need to clarify your post ( im from the uk, your post lost me ), maybe you can put pics of where your going ? or want to be.

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
8,902 Posts
+1 A larger rotor ought to require moving the caliper further out from the axle, which would require a spacer instead of a simple collarless locating pin. Zoran makes custom spacers, but he's in Nevada. Perhaps there's someone in the UK. Note that you're going to have to know exactly what you need.

Since you're both in the UK, you may have an opinion about an unrelated topic. I've been searching for the Motocourse 2021 calendar. Books-A-Million has just cancelled after two months. Sellers want around $40 to ship it from the UK to the US. Does that seem reasonable?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hope make any sense.
Everer where I look they only have 5 mm with the collars.
If so, I would need stack 2 of them in each bolt...

·
8,902 Posts
Your pic looks like you have the wrong spacer. As I recall, the OEM pin OD is 14 mm.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Your pic looks like you have the wrong spacer. As I recall, the OEM pin OD is 14 mm.
They sellers said is 10mm
And no other spacers comes without the collars... With looks odd.
Any photos I see the callipers seat flat on the spacers and the spacers on the arms.

·
8,902 Posts
Something's not right there. The caliper bolt is probably a M10. In the OEM application it sits inside a tubular alignment pin with a 14 mm OD, i.e. there's a 14 mm hole in the fork bottom and the caliper. Spacers are like longer pins with a center section that has a larger OD, say 25 mm. The center section provides the spacer offset and a small step on either end has the 14 mm diameter to align with the caliper and the fork bottom. I think that step is what you're calling a collar. Your collar diameter is too big for your fork bottoms and your calipers. They're probably intended for some other bike that used larger alignment pins. You need to find some spacers with the correct step (collar) diameters. Alternately machine the step diameters to 14 mm.

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
OP, one of the best tools you can have in your tool kit, is a set of digital Vernier Calipers.
The dimensions talked about in this thread are being lost in translation. Spacer 10mm, Spacer outside diameter ?, Spacer Collar outside diameter ? Caliper / fork insert, inside diameter ?
Quite a simple job to machine these spacers on a lathe, if you have access to one.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Yeah, the K4 standard calipers don't have locating dowels (i.e. collars). They just rely on the bolt. I always wondered about that too.

If you're good with hand tools, you could probably file those collars off. Keep the file straight and get it close. When you're almost there, get some 120 grit wet and dry, place it on a flat surface and rub spacers back and forth to get it an even true surface finish.

BillV said the bolt is 10mm, so make sure the internal hole is also 10mm.

Looks like you are using an aftermarket bolt. Make sure you still have enough thread going into the forks but also not bottoming out. Like craigfer63 said, you may have to pull out the vernier calipers and measure things up.

(NB. Brakes are important. I believe they should be left OEM. But if you do go aftermarket, follow
the manufacturers' instructions.)

·
Dreaming of buttsecks for years...
14,251 Posts
The collar (or dowel) on the fork or the spacer? Can you take a pic disassembled?

·
8,902 Posts
I'd assumed that they had locating pins like K5-L1 1000 but the parts fiche indicates that they didn't. You need surfaces that are flat, parallel to each other, and the same height. Just take them to a machinist to have the steps removed. I also see that the OEM screw had a socket head. The pn suggests that it is a 10 mm like later years. Just use a screw that is longer than OEM by the height of the spacer.

Geek, is this what you're after?

·
Registered
838 Posts
I would suggest that a cowboy has been at these calipers, to make them work. Start afresh and take the advice on the forum to help you sort this.

·
14,251 Posts
I wanted to see the spacers.

·
14,251 Posts
I'm wondering if they're stepped so they accept dowels on one side and replace the dowel on the other side.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts