Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys...

anyone tell me the torque spec for the front axle? also if there is a spec, for the two bolts that are on each of the bottom of the forks? thanks a TON!!!

Chris

·
Bearded Admin call him Grizzly
88,756 Posts
front axle 72.5ftlbs
pinch bolts 16.6ftlbs

·
Registered
321 Posts
Who says you can't beat a sore dick
? It just hurts a little more than buffing the bumps out with an electric buffer.

[ 07-19-2002, 07:27 PM: Message edited by: nolimits63 ]

·
Bearded Admin call him Grizzly
88,756 Posts
Originally posted by nolimits63:
Who says you can't beat a sore dick
? It just hurts a little more than buffing the bumps out with an electric buffer.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">hahahaha how long did it take you to think of that one

·
Registered
645 Posts
I may be wrong, but the front axle isn't a torqued item. It's holding spacers against wheel bearings and if you tighten them too much, you'll ruin those bearings. They'll wear out really quick. Those pinch bolts are really there to keep the big nut on the right side of the axle from rotating once you have it set snug enough. Those bolts are fine around 15 to 20lbs on a torque wrench. I'll double check myself in the manual though, and post my confirmation. I just remember not setting any torque on that axle itself because of noticing that the spacers were pressing against the bearing and that they are the stopping points on the bearings. Then taking notice of the pinch bolts as being the responsible party of making sure that the axle just doesn't rotate. Kind of think of setting it the same way you'd snug up a drum brake by tightening down by hand, then rotate the wheel... then snug up a little more and then rotate until all play is gone and the wheel can still spin freely enough. Then snug up the pinch bolts with a torque setting.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts