Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
friend wants to upgrade to the \'05 1k

My friend's been riding bit over 1yr on his gsxr600, he can handle the bike well. he wants to upgrade to the 1k...what are your inputs? he loves my bike he really wants to pull the trigger on it....what do you guys think?

btw...he has an '04 600

· Registered
61 Posts
Re: friend wants to upgrade to the \'05 1k

I've been riding motorcycles for over 15 years now, and in my opinion it's not a good idea at all, the K5 is way too much bike for someone with that little experience.

· Chubby Chaser
57,033 Posts

1 year of riding and he wants to hop on a K5? probably a bad idea. I too have been riding for just a shade over 15 years and this bike requires some skill to handle.

· Registered
75 Posts

i sold one of my good friends my 600 when i went to the 1k
he rode it for 6 months in FL about 5x a week and put a ton of miles on it

he upgraded to the 1k, got in a bad situation and his lack of experience got him killed

RIP Paco

· Registered
215 Posts

hmm
i personally know 7 dudes who have died on the K5 within a 2 month period.
ironically 2 came off zx636 1 gsxr 750 (04) the rest gsxr 600's.
HINT...way out of his league. Have him hold on to his 6 for 1 more year.
Then upgrade to the new GSXR 750 thats comming out next year. Most likely that will be more than enough bike for him to flick around indefinitely.

· Registered
116 Posts

the problem comes from everyone wanting a 1K just to say, "I ride a 1000".

if you spend at least a year on a 600, then a year on a 750, then really respect the 1K for the first year (and keeep that repsect once you start using it hard), you'll be fine. its an EGO thing, 6 month riders wanting a 1K just to say that's what they ride! in any case, please ride safe and respect your bike!!!

I once heard a saying, "A 600 can kill you, A 1000 WANTS to kill you"

· Registered
30 Posts

ditto ditto ditto ditto

I bought a 03' 1000 in the beggining of 2004 when the 04's were coming out. The dealer persuaded me with a great price. However what I was after was a 750. I enjoy the 1000, and never thought much of it until my brothers both got 05' 600's. There bikes are a blast. It has everything to do with how powerful my 1000 is. It is too powerful for a rider with my limited riding experience but hey, I got caught up in having a 1000. I look forward to riding my brothers' bikes every time I see them. Can he handle a 1000, probably, if he rides like me and just cruises around because I respect the bike. I am 31 years old with 3 kids at home. I want to ride, but I want to come home more, so I don't enjoy riding as much as I would if I had the 600. So, now that I have had my 1000 for that last year, my two cents is that the 600 is the way to go. I do desire to get a 600 or 750 just for the reason of wanting to enjoy the bike that much more.

Not sure my two cents helps any

· Registered
111 Posts

I duno how much difference there is between the K4 and K5, but I have a K4 and just stepped up to it after a year of riding an R6 I have had no problems whatso ever. He will definitly need to be careful of the power, these things get scary quick. But as long as hes smart he should be fine.

· Registered
116 Posts

ditto ditto ditto ditto

I bought a 03' 1000 in the beggining of 2004 when the 04's were coming out. The dealer persuaded me with a great price. However what I was after was a 750. I enjoy the 1000, and never thought much of it until my brothers both got 05' 600's. There bikes are a blast. It has everything to do with how powerful my 1000 is. It is too powerful for a rider with my limited riding experience but hey, I got caught up in having a 1000. I look forward to riding my brothers' bikes every time I see them. Can he handle a 1000, probably, if he rides like me and just cruises around because I respect the bike. I am 31 years old with 3 kids at home. I want to ride, but I want to come home more, so I don't enjoy riding as much as I would if I had the 600. So, now that I have had my 1000 for that last year, my two cents is that the 600 is the way to go. I do desire to get a 600 or 750 just for the reason of wanting to enjoy the bike that much more.

Not sure my two cents helps any
AWESOME post! Finally someone man enough to admit the truth and tell it like it is! Thank you stwilli

· Premium Member
62 Posts

hmm
ironically 2 came off zx636 1 gsxr 750 (04) the rest gsxr 600's.
HINT...way out of his league. Have him hold on to his 6 for 1 more year.
Then upgrade to the new GSXR 750 thats comming out next year. Most likely that will be more than enough bike for him to flick around indefinitely.

yeah right.... then you woke up....

· Registered
612 Posts

It is up to the rider to know his or her limit in riding safe. I now have 5 yrs riding and I ride my K5 safely around traffic and oly punch it on twisties. I feel no joy hitting 185mph top-end. Again, you can die on a Katana 600 if you ride stupid.

· Registered
195 Posts

well, i just moved from a 600 to 1000. why because i sold my 600 for more than i paid for my 03 1k. plus i fell in love whith the silver 03. on the 600 i had a blast, when i would ride in a group some of the 1000's would be in the back. lack of experience or confidance in them maybe. i dont really know i ride at my skill level, its not that good i have been riding since 99 on a ls 650 then just last year i bought me the 600, and let me tell you what. that was more or a wake up than moving from a 600 to a 1000. as long as you respect the power and now what gear to be riding at and having throtle control you will have fun. it does take more skill to lean 1000 but just like when you started on your first bike you had to learn it and find out where you were most comftrable at.

· Chubby Chaser
57,033 Posts

hmm
i
You know seven people that died while riding K5's in the last two months......seven?.......in NJ?

Yeah...............what he said.

I haven't even seen 7 K5's in Jersey. Come to think of it, I'm the only K5 I've seen anywhere yet.

· Registered
215 Posts

hmm
i
You know seven people that died while riding K5's in the last two months......seven?.......in NJ?
actually not all in NJ
and as for DCMETRO1 comment....when you are part of a club and the motorcycle community..you find out who dies and on what bike and from what crew. and yes i did say they all owned K5's. Wow..didnt know i had to defend someones death on the bike.
Do u want the names and the clubs they where with too???
If you are from the North New Jersey area and are familiar with route 21 (suiside highway)
You will know whom im talkin about.
Other's that I know personally were out of state DC/Maryland area.

· Registered
215 Posts

hmm
i

Yeah...............what he said.

I haven't even seen 7 K5's in Jersey. Come to think of it, I'm the only K5 I've seen anywhere yet.
Hmm...youre the only K5 that you've seen in NJ??....cmon...you must live in the boonies then cause I wonder why Risson Cycle in Middlesex, Motorcycle Mall In belleville, and Honda Cycles in Lodi are all sold out of K5....
Get a grip on yourself mang...
And I reiterate....they were not all in jersey who passed on
Now lets get back to the real topic.
Bottom line is if you have little experience, get something that is more your speed

· Registered
67 Posts

Before he gets a K5 GSXR1000 he should think of something much more tamer likat 1000RR or something like that. The GSXR1000 is too much of a beast for any one year rider.

· Registered
67 Posts

Before he gets a K5 GSXR1000 he should think of something much more tamer like a 1000RR or something like that. The GSXR1000 is too much of a beast for any one year rider.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.