Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
This is my 2nd post on this site. My first post got no responce, so I'm gonna try again...

I just got a 93 GSXR 750. I've read a bunch of things so far on here about frame sliders and spools, but I'm not really sure what they are or if I can get them for my bike. Also, can anyone recommend a place to get a rear stand (and/or front) inexpensively?
How bout a good jacket? I'm looking for a one-shot deal - something with a removable liner - I'm a college student w/o cash to burn!
Thanks a lot!
Bill

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Originally posted by 87MustangGT:
Hey all,
This is my 2nd post on this site. My first post got no responce, so I'm gonna try again...

I just got a 93 GSXR 750. I've read a bunch of things so far on here about frame sliders and spools, but I'm not really sure what they are or if I can get them for my bike. Also, can anyone recommend a place to get a rear stand (and/or front) inexpensively?
How bout a good jacket? I'm looking for a one-shot deal - something with a removable liner - I'm a college student w/o cash to burn!
Thanks a lot!
Bill
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">frame sliders are hard plastic(or something) that goes on the side of your bike to prevent damage to your fairings if you wreck. i'm not sure if they make them for your bike.

spools are where you lift your bike with the stand. you may not need them. i don't know.

as far as buying a stand and jacket i'd say go to kneedraggers.com or parts411.com . if you have any questions about the jacket get ahold of todd at kneedraggers, he's a good man, he'll hook you up.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Hey all,

Thanks a lot!
Bill
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Before you put any mods on your bike, spend any spare cash you have on good leathers and helmet. Dainese, Alpinestars, Spidi and Axo are all good quality brands. All of them do jackets with removable liners. I paid $500 for my Dainese maybe they're a little cheaper in the US. It might seem like a lot of money but in the end it's worth it. Don't get cheap gear as it won't save your skin.

·
Registered
150 Posts
This is the place to get the front and rear stands

Handy Industries
$99 for the front and rear stand.

They are cheap and work great. If you don't want to buy spools you can get the universal stand which has pads. It's not as stable as the spooled stand.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone...
On the Handy stands, what's the difference between rubber pads and bobbin support? Or does bobbin support mean spools?
Also, would it be safe to store the bike on the stands? It seems like it would be a better idea and more stable, but I just want to make sure. The bike shares the garage w/my Mustang, and I don't need them to have an unexpected meeting...

[ 01-21-2003, 07:33 AM: Message edited by: 87MustangGT ]

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
would it be safe to store the bike on the stands?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Absolutely. For long-term storage, it's highly recommended as it prevents tire flat spots. A front stand's not as necessary, but a rear stand is a must-have I'd say. When it comes time to do any work on your bike (cleaning/lubing your chain, changing your oil), you'll really appreciate having a stand.

I do recommend a spooled rearstand as it is more stable, plus it's easier to use. Getting those pads under your swingarm can be a pain. So...spooled stand, and go get some spools.

Any bike shop will sell spools, but they're often overpriced. Look around for a deal, try Ebay, a few bike websites, etc. and you can probably find them for $12 or $13.
Spools also provide swingarm protection in the event of a slide.

I'm sure you'll meet plenty of other riders once you're out on the road. Make some buddies and latch on to the guys who really know their stuff about bikes. I've personally learned a lot from my bike buds, and they've been extremely helpful whenever something's come up beyond my capabilities.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK then, another question: Do those Handy stands work with spools? (Hmm... I should just be asking the company this...)

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Yes, Handy Stands work with spools (they call them bobbins), or you can get one that works as a swingarm rest.
As my last post discussed, I recommend you go with spools.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
my 0.02 buy some swingarm slider spools! they look nice and offer better abrasion protection than just plain spools... (look like bobbins but made of plastic)

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
spool sliders? what are those? i know frame sliders arent available, but i've never heard of spool sliders...

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
same thing as a frame slider(as in material) cept it goes where the spool/bobbin goes. it'll save the axel nut and its supposed to keep the swing arm from getting to chewed up in the event that you go down.also work for spooled stands. check kneedraggers.com they sell the intuitive for like 20.00

·
Registered
37 Posts
Bike stands...

http://www.handyindustries.com/

$99 for front and rear

they work great, very stable... I highly recommend them...

get leathers 1st, pants too... frame sliders second, bobbins (or as most people call them spools) third because you probably need them for your stands and the get stands...

·
Registered
37 Posts
I got mine at parts411.... just get silver they are the cheapest and they blend in with your swing arm... I got 8mm and I want to say they were $8 and the coloreds were $16... check it out
at www.parts411.com

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
does it matter that all those swingarm sliders are for 96-up gixxers and I have a 93? will they still fit?
movistar - could you send me a link to the sliders you got for $8? All I could find were the Intuitive ones for $30...
Another quick year-related question - will any year's tank pad work on a 93?

·
Registered
780 Posts
does it matter that all those swingarm sliders are for 96-up gixxers and I have a 93? will they still fit?
movistar - could you send me a link to the sliders you got for $8? All I could find were the Intuitive ones for $30...
Another quick year-related question - will any year's tank pad work on a 93?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I think the spools she was referring to are here...

http://www.parts411.com/acb/showdetl.cfm?&DID=9&Product_ID=70789&CATID=75

1 - 20 of 24 Posts