Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been watching for sliders for the 90-92 bike for a year now, with no success. I spoke with Intuitive racing, and they advise against bolting the sliders to the head, for the very reason you mention...

Mark

·
Registered
257 Posts
I have to admit a while back someone pointed me to a site that had them, but it wasn't in English (I think it was in Finnish or something random like that). Theirs mounted to the front downtubes, which put them pretty far forward but might've worked fine for all I know. They were also really long which worried me as they might bend. I think I've seen some in English (as in UK) catalogs, but they are more for naked bikes and mount to the head stubs.

Oh well I guess I'll keep looking.

Matt

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Frame sliders are not made for and will not work on the air\oil double cradle style frame
Karl

·
Registered
257 Posts
I don't know if I'd go that far but they're definitely not as common or easy to mount as on beam frames or whatnot. Like I said I've definitely seen three versions though I can't track them down at the moment. One mounted to the downtubes, one mounted to the rear head stud, and one that had a little aluminum bridge between the head studs and the slider mounted in the middle. The latter two looked like they were basically for unfaired bikes.

Even if it isn't sliders, surely there's some way to crash-prep an old GSXR. Any ideas?

Matt

·
Premium Member
3,183 Posts
Shit out of luck. Wrecking the frame would be more $$$ than wrecking the bodywork.

The intuitive sliders that are available for the water-cooled 1995 GSXR750 only work because that bike has a great bike boss cast into the head to attach a motor mount up to two bosses in the frame. The frame rails and down tubes were strengthened in order to allow for this extra motor mount. Their (intuitive) frame slider essentially replaces the head boss bolt and requires cutting of the fairing to allow it to 'peek' through, not unlike their version for the CBR600 F4.

Sooooo, could be done, but would entail a fair bit of work. I'd tend to go with the engine guards (ie billet covers) etc, solid footpegs and maybe the intuitive swingarm bobbins and let the shit hit the fan re the bodywork. Unfortunately.....!

·
Registered
257 Posts
Given the frequency with which my bike seems to kiss the pavement I think it's time I get a decent set of frame sliders for the thing. Does anyone know of a company that makes sliders for the air-cooled GSXRs (mine's a 92 750)? I would prefer not to cut the bodywork but I know I can't be too choosy. Has anyone ever seen sliders for the older bikes? Where did they mount? Would mounting on the head where the body mount bolt be a bad idea (don't want to save the bodywork but wreck the head). Thanks for any leads.

Matt

1 - 6 of 6 Posts