very first stages of polishing

damn square frame is a bitch to polish!

so hard to get the edges and around the welds

[ 04-26-2002, 03:54 PM: Message edited by: Mr Gixxer ]

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Quit your whining and get to work...

What tools are you using to get in there?

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
looking good soo far

·
Registered
978 Posts
i know its a bitch but if you take your time that box frame will look sweet people think mine is dipp
ed looks good so far

·
3,476 Posts
Ahh, you couldn't resist huh. I thought you said you weren't gonna do that. I know I'm too lazy, I do like the look though.

·
Premium Member
3,183 Posts
Yo Mistah Gixx, if you get REALLY fed up, drop down to Linex Industries (no, NOT Linux smartasses!) on River Way for a powder coat estimate. They just did a beautiful job on a bunch of shit off my bike, including the swingarm for an amazingly (capital A) price.

If you want, I can drop the swingarm by before the works gets bundled back up. Lemme know, since its a bitch to ride without the rest of the bike.....

·
Registered
129 Posts
Originally posted by Mr Gixxer:

very first stages of polishing

damn square frame is a bitch to polish!

so hard to get the edges and around the welds
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I polished every part possible part on my 90 1100 and I polished the frame on my 86/750. I used an electric angle grinder (bosch) from Home depot. I took the guard off and attached a 5 inch buffing wheel. I then used a rough polishing compound brick for the first stages and then the fine compound brick for the final. I did not have to use any sand paper with this method. The rough compound took the clear coat off in seconds. I did the frame in about 2 hours. Same method for the wheel lips. Aircraft stripper took off the paint on the lip but did not effect the center spokes of the wheel. I then sanded a bit and used the polisher for the rest. Dirty work... My face was as black as a tire.

CT

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
looks good but yes loads to do .

You'll be pleased when it's finished and then it will never be quite shiny enough...........well that's life mate.

Andy

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I wouldn't do the insides though!!!!!!

You'll never be able to keep the inside polished and it's not ever seen !!! leave it painted if you can or protect it with something.

Andy

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Mr. G,

Got any updated pic? I'm curious to see how it's coming out.

·
Banned
11,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
wife took the digi camera

I am interested in knowing how you were able to strip the clear with the compound

I am using brown tripoli, and if I attempt to strip the clear it will happen eventually but it will also leave a ripple

the notched out sections are a major bitch to get nice! (right in the corners where the step in) and so are the areas where the welds meet the flat sections

I have not tried the cast head sections yet

·
Registered
129 Posts
Originally posted by Mr Gixxer:
wife took the digi camera

I am interested in knowing how you were able to strip the clear with the compound

I am using brown tripoli, and if I attempt to strip the clear it will happen eventually but it will also leave a ripple

the notched out sections are a major bitch to get nice! (right in the corners where the step in) and so are the areas where the welds meet the flat sections

I have not tried the cast head sections yet
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I used a combo of Green and white compounds. With an agressive pad the clear came off in seconds.

CT

1 - 13 of 13 Posts