Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!
I just bought a 1000 K5 and a friend of mine told me about a recall Suzuki had on these bikes. I didn’t know it.
I checked the frame numbers that Suzuki recalled and these numbers are completely different than mine.
I am not concerned about the recall, but if my bike has wrong frame number…
My frame number is: JS1B6111100101282
Does anyone knows if this number is a frame number of a GSXR1000 2005?

·
That’s Mister Moderator To You ....
8,551 Posts
There are two recalls on the K5-6 1000s, both of which you SHOULD be concerned about. One is for a frame brace, lest your frame crack. The other one is for the front master cylinder... stopping is important.

These are two serious safety issues so don't dick-around - make sure they're both done.

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
9,832 Posts
My best information is that E19 (E.U.) models had frame numbers from JS1B6111100100001 to JS1B6111100107743 in 2005 and JS1B6111100107744 onward in 2006. That indicates that you have a K5 built about one sixth of the way through the model year. There's a sticky here about the frame recall that indicates that about 10% of the frames were replaced. I don't have any information about the replaced frame numbers but would guess that they continued on after the last 2006, which seems to be somewhere around JS1B6111100116000. Any recalled frame, replaced or not, would have a frame brace. I thought that recalled frames were marked with a punch like this (page 5) but I just checked the recall instructions and didn't see it.

I haven't bothered to wade through the 48 pages on the frame recall thread but suspect that we blew it by not getting info on the recall frame numbers (37 people said theirs were replaced). It's a bit late at this stage. Does anyone have or know of a replaced frame and, if so, what is its frame number?

·
9,832 Posts
^Needs what? All K5/K6 1000's need the brace, if that's what you're talking about. But you can check just by looking at the frame. The brace installation instructions with pics are here.

·
9,832 Posts
^It may vary with geographic district. A K5 is now 16 years old so I can only suggest that you ask Suzuki. Having said that, they may be sensitive to potential liability for refusing to correct a known defect. They might tell you to shove it if the bike needed a new frame. But the brace is a much smaller issue. Suzuki has a video about installing the brace but I've never been able to access it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have an 06 that just goes to the drag strip. I did take it in for the front master cylinder recall. While I was there I asked about the frame brace/recall. I was told that was aimed at those stunting. Constantly slamming the front end down hard. And that they had seen no problems under normal use and abuse. I did not have that done. I check it now and then. It has not been an issue. That's been years ago... But do what's comfortable for you.

·
That’s Mister Moderator To You ....
8,551 Posts
I have an 06 that just goes to the drag strip. I did take it in for the front master cylinder recall. While I was there I asked about the frame brace/recall. I was told that was aimed at those stunting. Constantly slamming the front end down hard. And that they had seen no problems under normal use and abuse. I did not have that done. I check it now and then. It has not been an issue. That's been years ago... But do what's comfortable for you.
Ahh, I see. Instead of listening to the engineers who design and manufacture the motorcycle and implementing the approved fix, you're "doing your own research". Got it.

·
9,832 Posts
+1
"I was told that was aimed at those stunting."
Told by who? That sounds like a mechanic instead of Suzuki Motors. If the frame breaks and you are injured, do you think that they will accept responsibility?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Ahh, I see. Instead of listening to the engineers who design and manufacture the motorcycle and implementing the approved fix, you're "doing your own research". Got it.
No, I listened to the guys in the shop that see those bikes after they have some use and abuse on them. I don't need that that brace going down the drag strip. If you stunt it's probable a good idea. That's why I ended with do what you are comfortable with... The "engineers who design and manufacture" probable should have saw that before it got out the door.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts