Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Seen a weld like that on a K7. A slow trackday lowside into a wooden barrier. The rider looked a bit surprised when he got the bike up..

·
Captain Obvious ... because obviously it’s obvious
3,930 Posts
That's some piss-poor weld penetration.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Is the recall still active. My 05 has the brace and my frame still broke in half what can I do about this
The frame recall should still be active and I think the replacement frames were warranted for several years. Did you get a new frame when the brace was installed or was the brace installed on your original frame?

Try your VIN in the Suzuki recall page and see what it says about your bike.

·
Registered
284 Posts
OK Sid,
I read your title,
and thought that the actual frame brace- had a recall!!
I had a k5 I used and abused wheelied came down hard a few times and crashed twice was still good I did have the recall done as it was free bike felt no different at all there was also a recall for the front brake but that was after I sold mine so dont know what the problem was there but mine was fine. Wicked bike best I've had also the best bike I've ridden. 👍

·
Registered
284 Posts
The frame recall should still be active and I think the replacement frames were warranted for several years. Did you get a new frame when the brace was installed or was the brace installed on your original frame?

Try your VIN in the Suzuki recall page and see what it says about your bike.

They never replaced the frames on the recall unless they were cracked which at crescent suzuki here in the uk said none they had done were cracked they just put the brace on all of theres. 👌 it will be ok u just gotta have faith 🤕

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
7,837 Posts
This is from GS/GSX/GSX-R BULLETIN NO. 206 DATE: 2/26/2010:

Suzuki has agreed to both of the following:
Extend the frame warranty to 10 years from the date the frame was replaced or the frame reinforcement brace was installed pursuant to the voluntary safety recall campaign #2A08

You ought to be covered but, depending on when your brace was installed, the warranty's expiration date may be growing near.

I've forgotten the details but there were some rights that were given up by not withdrawing from the class action lawsuit and accepting the $40 credit that was offered. I withdrew but suspect that almost no one else did.

P.S. Here's some more.

·
Registered
284 Posts
That pic appears to have the brace installed? I see a few pieces on the outer left side that,from what I recall:)lol) looks like the edge of the bracing?

I'm going off memory,about 4yrs ago I parted out a mint K5 that had the brace installed...maybe @BillV can confirm?
Wasnt it down to weight shaving they took a bit too much material away also that pic the bike could have hit a wall at 100mph any bike would snap in half if you smack it hard enough BOOM!

·
Premium Member
1,604 Posts
The K5 in my avatar had the frame replaced, it was a specific spot on the left side just where the horn mounts where the cracking started.
Current K6 is braced, very low kilometres at this stage so I dont think about it too much be as the K's begin to mount I will monitor very closely.

·
7,837 Posts
^That's a serious problem. I wouldn't ride it like that. The recall was announced in January 2009. The recall update with notice of an extended warranty for the frame is dated February 26, 2010. The class action lawsuit was settled on April 15, 2010. You might only have twelve days to get the bike to Suzuki. After that you might be on your own. Suzuki's not going to offer the brace forever.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi, i bought my gsxr k6 last year in october with 34000km, ive seen a little crack 3weeks later, went on a trip of 800km and the crack was 1cm longer after that(fast riding without wheelies and really hard braking)
Ive called suzuki and left the bike there, after a week when i passed the inspection they approved a new frame (the bike must be in riding order and the fairings must be original).
I waited a month for the frame to arrive from Japan to Croatia and they swapped in 2 days

·
7,837 Posts
"the bike must be in riding order and the fairings must be original"
It seems to vary. See this and the nearby posts.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts