Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
That’s Mister Chalet To You ....
7,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OG has turboed and beaten the living shit out of several of his, wheelie-ing and slamming down hard at 180+ mph as his boring, daily routine. Never had an issue.

Yesterday, a forum noob @LiferSBKRider posted the blurb copied-in below in another thread:

My question is addressed to anyone who has worked in Suzuki dealerships, who has had actual eyes/hands-on experience with this recall. Simply put, has anyone ever actually SEEN a busted or cracked frame that was related to this recall?

If they rode into a brick wall or rear-ended a car, that doesn't count. I'm talking purely from 'regular' riding, rough roads, coming-down hard from wheelies etc.....

I actually had a K6
I didnt like the fact Suzuki had that recall to epoxy a brace up at the front section of the frame though.
Back then I was a wheelie nut and always wondered when the neck was going to snap off.
I worked at a dealer back then.
Warranty had us check for hairline cracks before bracing the front ends.
I did a lot of them.
@LiferSBKRider , did you ever find any cracks or breaks?

·
Banned
1,136 Posts
OK Sid,
I read your title,
and thought that the actual frame brace- had a recall!!

·
Premium Member
24,541 Posts
OK Sid,
I read your title,
and thought that the actual frame brace- had a recall!!
A recall,for the recall...kinda like what Samsung is going throught with that Galaxy 7 or whatever model catches fire...that they replaced with a new model...that also catches fire:lol

·
7,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You're referring to the Galaxy NOTE 7 and it's their batteries that explode. I have the Galaxy S7 (non-Note) and it's awesome.

Well, this thread is off the rails before even leaving the station. That's gotta be some kind of record. :suicide

·
Premium Member
24,541 Posts
Par for the course Andre :lmao

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
7,837 Posts
"Simply put, has anyone ever actually SEEN a busted or cracked frame that was related to this recall?"

Your question sounds like it's referring to pre-recall bikes, i.e. no brace. The poll in the main frame recall thread indicates that about 1 in 10 frames were cracked. But the posts here sound more like you're talking about cracks appearing in recalled/braced frames. Which is it?

I've previously mentioned that I've found a badly cracked bare frame that otherwise looks fine (4 miles, clean title) for sale from a dismantler. No idea what it's about. I've wondered if you could put the other parts back onto it and take it to a dealer to get a new frame.

·
Banned
1,136 Posts
Records are made to be.....broken, wait a minute, wasn't this about cracked and/of broken frames?

See, it went full circle!!

·
7,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
"Simply put, has anyone ever actually SEEN a busted or cracked frame that was related to this recall?"

Your question sounds like it's referring to pre-recall bikes, i.e. no brace. The poll in the main frame recall thread indicates that about 1 in 10 frames were cracked. But the posts here sound more like you're talking about cracks appearing in recalled/braced frames. Which is it?

I've previously mentioned that I've found a badly cracked bare frame that otherwise looks fine (4 miles, clean title) for sale from a dismantler. No idea what it's about. I've wondered if you could put the other parts back onto it and take it to a dealer to get a new frame.
Your reply prompted me to check and after all these years on GDC, I had never noticed until just now that the very top sticky in this subforum is precisely on this subject.

Well, don't I feel like a turdhole. Fuck it... par for the course, right?

So who has the Galaxy Note 7?

·
Registered
256 Posts
OG has turboed and beaten the living shit out of several of his, wheelie-ing and slamming down hard at 180+ mph as his boring, daily routine. Never had an issue.

Yesterday, a forum noob @LiferSBKRider posted the blurb copied-in below in another thread:

My question is addressed to anyone who has worked in Suzuki dealerships, who has had actual eyes/hands-on experience with this recall. Simply put, has anyone ever actually SEEN a busted or cracked frame that was related to this recall?

If they rode into a brick wall or rear-ended a car, that doesn't count. I'm talking purely from 'regular' riding, rough roads, coming-down hard from wheelies etc.....

@LiferSBKRider , did you ever find any cracks or breaks?
I never saw one, but it never plugs confidence to know they had a recall for them.
I remember the first case that started it all was a rider in a Pikes Peak race that had his snap off.
Depending on what you're doing, if a neck/frame ever did snap there. It would be face plant city at who knows what speed.

For all we know, it could have been a one time factory defect, and no others were like that.
I did always take extra time doing those even though warranty was crap pay.
I always felt someone's life might depend on that work.:scared

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
Just looking at that pic you can clearly see how brittle that weld is....Some scary shit for sure,when doing hard landings for the stunters or weekend warriors...But again had mine from day one and lots of track days and yes the occasional wheel up,not high enough to do this I hope...But get it done and earn a 10 year frame warranty...

·
Premium Member
24,541 Posts
That pic appears to have the brace installed? I see a few pieces on the outer left side that,from what I recall:)lol) looks like the edge of the bracing?

I'm going off memory,about 4yrs ago I parted out a mint K5 that had the brace installed...maybe @BillV can confirm?

Attachments

·
----------------
1,767 Posts
That pic appears to have the brace installed? I see a few pieces on the outer left side that,from what I recall:)lol) looks like the edge of the bracing?

I'm going off memory,about 4yrs ago I parted out a mint K5 that had the brace installed...maybe @BillV can confirm?

Yes it does. I stole this pic from the recall sticky that eluded Andre for all these years :lol

·
Premium Member
24,541 Posts
Yes it does. I stole this pic from the recall sticky that eluded Andre for all these years :lol
Gotcha. Figured thats where it came from,but Im too lazy to verify :hammer

1 - 20 of 38 Posts